[p2p-research] is-something-fundamentally-wrong-with-wikipedia-governance-processes

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 04:18:05 CET 2008

Hi Henrik,

regarding your last comment on the business side.

I don't know enough about that particular critique to judge it as present.

I agree with you that having a business ecology around a commons is not
problematic by itself, but perhaps it is the particular non-transparent way
that is the issue? If the same people running the businesses all sit in the
same foundation running the commons, that may be problematic ...

Michel

On Jan 6, 2008 11:12 PM, Henrik Ingo <henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2008 3:56 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > I have done quite a bit of research (well ... just a few hours), and
> this
> > will be published tomorrow morning:
> >

> Good work Michel
>
> This is a very good piece. The last point that Wikipedia's founder is
> running a related for-profit business shouldn't be given too much
> weight, it is kind of common with many Open Source projects. Apart
> from that the compilation of criticisms was eyeopening. I read in
> particular the case of http://antisocialmedia.net/. If any of the
> other links support this is true, it seems the wikipedia
> administration should be ousted in a popular revolt - or a fork
> (although brand value of wikipedia is so high the cost of forking is
> almost prohibitive).
>
> It seems my previous thoughts on Wikipedia administrators simply
> misunderstanding the situation and opportunities of an online medium
> was way too positive. I now believe Wikipedia has in fact been taken
> over by a bunch of incompetent fools, who are drunk on the power of
> administering facts on the worlds now most popular source of
> information.
>
> This reminds me of what easily happens with large mailing-lists. An
> online medium runs the risk of becoming dominated by those who have
> most time to spend - such as people who are unemployed because of
> mental problems (this was literally the case, I'm not kidding - of
> course some of the others were just weird types without a social life
> and therefore spending too much time creating controversy on the list)
> - and therefore can afford spending so much time producing nonsense
> that all the sane people (with day jobs) just have to surrender and go
> away.
>
> One would certainly hope something is done to correct this problem,
> Wikipedia is too valuable to suffer such a fate. Let's hope a group of
> more clueful and responsible people are willing to spend their scarce
> time in the battle that seems to be necessary.
>

> henrik
> --
> email: henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
> tel:   +358-40-5697354
> www:   www.avoinelama.fi/~hingo <http://www.avoinelama.fi/%7Ehingo>
> book:  www.openlife.cc

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: