[p2p-research] is-something-fundamentally-wrong-with-wikipedia-governance-processes

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 17:20:44 CET 2008

Good points, all.

My own experience drafting a page in wikipedia, and working on it over a few
years, is that Wikipedia does not have an objetcive system of qualification
for content.

A similar pattern is actually happening in the Drupal community, where there
is a kindof quasi-consensus rule over what direction different components
should take in development, with espoused rules of thumb that are not always
applied objectively.

It's my opinion that co-governance systems that can engage multiple
stakeholders more evenly  can help alleviate these issues. One model that
can be deployed quite successfully in communities like Wikipedia, and Drupal
development community, is http://www.aboutus.org/Portal:ConsensusPolls a
process to engage people in the co-construction of decision making, in a
systematic way.

This is an alternative to
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?RightToForkThe idea is to
incorporate insights, needs, and motivations into voting. To
synthesize existing community needs into action, by making a "yes" vote
contingent upon mutually satisfactory dynamic plans.

So, the decision to remove or keep content in wikipedia could be more
systematized in fashion such as this. It is my assertion that the quality of
content, and quality of contributions, and enthusiasm of contributors would
all increase, if people felt there was an equitable way to resolve disputes.

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1-+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451