[p2p-research] so is there a new class?

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 16:56:06 CET 2008

I agree that it exists still, as do many components of the legacy of earlier
eras. I also agree that people use the word "class" in more than one way. I
understand the paradigms of emancipatory tradition. I agree that there are
objective structural conditions in society. I agree it's possible to
"classify" them, based on many different ways of measuring, including
income, quality of life, etc. I tend to find some of the classification
systems we employ, both in general discourse, and in more academic circles,
limiting. Limiting to both our quest to understand the nature of humans, and
limiting to the people who come to accept their classification.

Yet, I also try to understand human nature, not just through the world view
of academic and philosophical viewpoints, but also equally through the
complex adaptive, bio-psycho-social-systems active in the majority of people
in the world, who are processing and acting from a viewpoint that is
generally not literate of the concepts that you describe.

So, I ask "why are there objective, structural conditions in society? Why do
some people end up in some 'class' in society? Why are some people reacting
against the notion of being part of a class?"

My argument is that quite a significant amount of people do not even know,
nor understand that they are adopting and adapting to external conditions by
solving problems in a "peer production" fashion. Instead, these people are
gravitating towards these ways of solving problems, because the pressure of
the conditions of the existing social paradigm is compelling them towards
it.

There are many more dimensions to the emergence of "p2p" human phenomenon
than I've often seen or heard being discussed. These dynamics of shifts in
human nature have, at the same time, at least a biological, a psychological,
and a social/complex environmental component. Integral theory is useful, but
often unfortunately not understood. I think integral theory was successful
in accurately packaging multiple complexities, and emergent patterns into
useful shorthand terms before very many people outside of a small circle of
academics were able to understand and comprehend how it all is
inter-related.

I am starting to outline a "Literacy of Human Nature" here:
http://communitywiki.org/en/LiteracyOfHumanNature that attempts to explore
how these dimensions and factors fit together.

Those different factors combine to affect the emergence of humans who solve
their problems of existence by carrying out activities in a "peer
production" fashion. I think that many of those very people actually intuit
the confining nature of being regarded as being part of a "class".  So, some
of them seek and find ways of solving existential problems in ways that seem
to them to obsolete the dominance of the "class" paradigm. Not abolish
"class", but to make it irrelevant and obsolete, and impotent in their own
lives, and the lives of those connected with them. A quaint, old-fashioned
notion, like the dusty old books about eugenics that you can find in the
basement archive of our local university library.

The need to frame and define an emerging new phenomenon as the "Rise of a
new class" is especially ironic to me, when the people under consideration
in the case of "p2p" phenomena appear to me to be rejecting "class", and
that rejection,  in my observation and estimation,  is one of their core
fundamental assumptions about how to solve their problems of existence. The
definition of people as part of a "class" is too limiting, even if it
originates in widely accepted academic roots. It confines the "view" too
narrowly, and even when employed from academic/critical/emancipatory
tradition, tends to confine understanding to a very few people.

My observation is that the need or desire to frame emerging human phenomenon
in terms of "class" is actually more often than not employed *because* of
it's confining properties. Because it reinforces the limited concepts it
refers to. Plus, it's a headline component that is guaranteed to grab some
readers :)

I also don't see Marx as the penultimate go-to filter through which to
understand p2p phenomena. I see Marx as one man who thought about this a
while ago, and articulated his thoughts very well. Yet, I see that many
people are able to intuit and act upon their conditions of existence, and
their existential problems in ways that I have never seen described by Marx,
nor very many other people. The best way that I have found to date
understand "why" these people are doing this, "what is in it for them?",
"who is doing what to whom, and why?" is to look at the bio-psycho-social
conditions of existence, and to think about how this human bio-psycho-social
system fits into larger complex systems. Looking at it this way immediately
reveals to me that this is *not* a "mass-culture" phenomenon. It is not the
rise of a "class" of people in society. Instead it is a simultaneous
localized emergence of ways of solving problems that is a reaction to the
breakdown, corrosion, and failure of existing mass culture social, economic,
political, and other infrastructure. Many of these failures and breakdowns
are rooted in the fundamental need to establish caste, class, and other
stratified barriers among people, so as to establish "one-up/one-down"
relationships with people, for the purposes of control of people and
resources.

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com