[p2p-research] Arguments against generalizing copyright-less strategies for musicians, was: arguments against applying open/free to other content

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Feb 21 07:42:43 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 17:39:49 PM -0500, Samuel Rose wrote:
> Marco,
>
> I think we might actually make some progress if we move this
> discussion to the p2pfoundation wiki.

Personally, I much prefer properly trimmed and quoted email to other
media, but it's OK. I'll just say again that I should have really
closed some other things before engaging in this and I'll try again to
do so, so don't be surprised if you don't see me for a week or so from
now.

> I don't think any of us are actually really arguing against your
> central core point, which is that completely tossing aside any
> declaration of usage by others is potentially a bad idea.
> So, that is what I read as your central point, that we should not
> necassarily turn that on it's head, but that maybe we should instead
> educate people, give them literacies about how they can work with
> existing conditions, instead of inverting them by default, invert
> them per person's choice.

You have summarized my core point well, thanks! "if you haven't really
proved that it is completely broken, don't insist on completely
fixing/removing it: it its much more right, both practically and
ethically, to only remove single *practices* or rules which surely
create problems.

And I, too, believe that all our positions and practical proposals are
much closer than they could seem by a superficial reading of these
first messages.

> Hopefully you'll see this a bit more fair than the indirect
> criticism that has taken place on this list so far

Actually, I have not felt the not-so-indirect criticism on the list so
far as unfair, don't worry. Maybe there just were some not really
necessary repetitions of some concepts, but it's OK, isn't it? After
all, we (ie I "versus" all the other list members) just met, so we had
to introduce ourselves to each other, summarizing what we think and
how we arrived to it.

I do hope this discussion continues, here or on wiki is not a problem:
as I had said to Michel privately, I'm honored to have been invited to
join a group of this level and hope to make useful contributions to
its work. I'm also glad to have found a place where there is balance,
good faith, actual thought and willingness to exercise one's brain to
get to the root of the problem and to really effective solutions. My
first article _is_ indeed confrontational and quite critical because
it was specifically addressed to, and it was a reaction to, people
yelling without having or wishing to have any of the qualities above.

Ciao,
	Marco
--
Your own civil rights and the quality of your own life heavily depend on
how software is used *around* you:               http://digifreedom.net/