[p2p-research] Fwd: arguments against applying open/free to other content

Josef Davies-Coates josef at uniteddiversity.com
Wed Feb 20 10:41:13 CET 2008

I just wanted to point to my colleagues project that is relevant here:

http://copycan.org

As it says:

"Digital content that exists can technically be copied, and in most cases
gets copied many times.

Copycan acknowledges this situation: Authors receive money for their work
without the restrictive methods of the digital content industry."
Michel, you might want to include a link to that in your post too ;)

Cheers,

Josef.

PS - I agree with Stan when he says "This assumes the artists are all of
sufficient value to society to earn a livelihood.  The "dream" of everyone
who wants to be an artist being one full time IS a dream, as it is not
grounded in reality."

On 20/02/2008, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> With links to Marco's original points, and the corrected version of Stan,
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/stan-rhodes-3-fundamental-arguments-against-the-continuation-of-copyright-restrictions/2008/03/05
>
> will be published on March 5 (I'm post-dating to create content during my
> absense)
>
> Michel
>
> On Feb 20, 2008 10:54 AM, Stan Rhodes <stanleyrhodes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Marco, please see below.  It is a short and concise refutation of the
> > basis of your argument.  A few comments first.  I think some of your "myths"
> > are themselves myths.  Also, I see mention of donation.  Donation is the
> > weakest service model, but it's not the only one.  In fact, morals and laws
> > aside, when someone can copy a work, yet pays the artist anyway, they're
> > actually using a donation model.  What works for Sam may no work for someone
> > else, and that's fine.  That doesn't mean information is property.  The
> > need, then, is to create additional service models--not product/goods models
> > (copyright).  "Killing" copyright will happen as these models are created
> > within a network that allows optimal value exchange between users and
> > creators, assuming the users and creators have control of the information
> > and transmission commons to they can keep it fair and open.  In this way,
> > copyright will be made obsolete.
> >
> > There are at least two other nitpicks from your email, though:
> > 1. Controlling use of nonrival goods is not natural in any sense of the
> > word.  They are nonrival goods, controlling them is artificial and should
> > only be done with good reason (that reason is the basis of the incentive
> > argument).  That laws have to be made to enforce a monopoly, and that those
> > laws can't be enforced without major restrictions of freedom, is a sign the
> > concept of information as property of the owner is bogus.
> >
> > 2. You say "But if this is the _only_ way to survive for an artist, if
> > an artist
> > cannot be just an artist full time, with as little powerful patrons
> > and intermediaries as possible... it isn't a good thing for society as
> > a whole, we haven't progressed all that much since the middle ages"
> >
> > This assumes the artists are all of sufficient value to society to earn
> > a livelihood.  The "dream" of everyone who wants to be an artist being one
> > full time IS a dream, as it is not grounded in reality.  You address this as
> > "Myth #3" but then answer it with your own myth.  An artist must create
> > value for others, not just him or herself, to be a value to society.  For
> > the occupation to be a livelihood, the value must be significant to everyone
> > else.  Otherwise, they are not carrying their weight; you cannot
> > legitimately dismiss that concept as being like the "middle ages."  The
> > problem we have today is that value taken is not proportionate to value
> > compensated for, but copyright law does little for that, it mostly feeds the
> [...]

Josef Davies-Coates
07974 88 88 95
http://uniteddiversity.com
Together We Have Everything