[p2p-research] Fwd: arguments against applying open/free to other content

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 04:54:02 CET 2008

Marco, please see below.  It is a short and concise refutation of the basis
of your argument.  A few comments first.  I think some of your "myths" are
themselves myths.  Also, I see mention of donation.  Donation is the weakest
service model, but it's not the only one.  In fact, morals and laws aside,
when someone can copy a work, yet pays the artist anyway, they're actually
using a donation model.  What works for Sam may no work for someone else,
and that's fine.  That doesn't mean information is property.  The need,
then, is to create additional service models--not product/goods models
(copyright).  "Killing" copyright will happen as these models are created
within a network that allows optimal value exchange between users and
creators, assuming the users and creators have control of the information
and transmission commons to they can keep it fair and open.  In this way,
copyright will be made obsolete.

There are at least two other nitpicks from your email, though:
1. Controlling use of nonrival goods is not natural in any sense of the
word.  They are nonrival goods, controlling them is artificial and should
only be done with good reason (that reason is the basis of the incentive
argument).  That laws have to be made to enforce a monopoly, and that those
laws can't be enforced without major restrictions of freedom, is a sign the
concept of information as property of the owner is bogus.

2. You say "But if this is the _only_ way to survive for an artist, if an
artist
cannot be just an artist full time, with as little powerful patrons
and intermediaries as possible... it isn't a good thing for society as
a whole, we haven't progressed all that much since the middle ages"

This assumes the artists are all of sufficient value to society to earn a
livelihood.  The "dream" of everyone who wants to be an artist being one
full time IS a dream, as it is not grounded in reality.  You address this as
"Myth #3" but then answer it with your own myth.  An artist must create
value for others, not just him or herself, to be a value to society.  For
the occupation to be a livelihood, the value must be significant to everyone
else.  Otherwise, they are not carrying their weight; you cannot
legitimately dismiss that concept as being like the "middle ages."  The
problem we have today is that value taken is not proportionate to value
compensated for, but copyright law does little for that, it mostly feeds the
middlemen who are not creating value at all.  Nonrival creation is a
service.  Service markets have rules that are different from markets of
goods.  The compensation models we use right now are very poor, and that's
the main problem.  The deeper we muddy ourselves with trying to make
"intellectual property" work, the more time and public good is wasted.  We
need to build networks that are "lean middlemen" instead.  This has to be
done by peers, and cannot not be done by laws and regulations; Lawrence
Lessig himself could tell you this, and that's why he switched from fighting
with copyright to going after corruption.  Laws and regulations favor the
middlemen who add no value, not the artists or users.  One of those three
has the most influence over law, and it's not the users or the artists.

Analysis of the Socioeconomic Argument for Restriction: Invaliding the
Incentive Argument

The restriction of information is at best inefficient, and at worst, a form
of coercive power. In all cases such restriction negatively impacts the
public good. The only good reason to create a restriction, legally, would be
because of some other factor affecting the public good. In this case, the
concern of creator incentive. The origin of copyright and patent, Article I,
Section 8, Clause 8 of the US Constitution, addresses this economic concern,
attempting to maximize public good by balancing the benefit of creator
incentive and the resulting higher output (quantity and/or quality) of works
with the detriment of restricting distribution among the public.

Today we can question, and I believe invalidate, the very basis of the
incentive argument, for three main reasons:

   1. Distribution of information--nonrival goods--is continually
   approaching zero cost. Attempting to raise the cost of distribution
   (artificially, particularly through the fallacy of "property") fights
   against this technological reality, requiring restriction of technology
   through stifling technological innovation and restricting individual
   freedom. *This is the "losing battle" reason.*
   2. The benefit of the the works created by the incentive must be
   greater than the societal detriment the restrictions cause. As distribution
   costs become trivial, the amount of detriment caused by reducing cumulative
   knowledge production increases rapidly. The benefit cannot outweigh the
   stunting of growth. *This is the "stifles progress (of science and the
   useful arts)" reason.*
   3. Technology currently provides, and will continue to provide and
   improve upon, methods of direct compensation, means of creation,
   decentralized risk-sharing. Technology enables direct exchange of value
   between parties. Technology increases availability of means of production
   (from digital media to fabrication using design information). Technology
   enables a near-zero middlemen cost (distribution and risk cost) between
   users and creators, enabling risk to be efficiently spread widely and in
   small amounts. *This is the "service model" reason.*

-- Stan