[p2p-research] why social advertising doesn't work

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 04:55:08 CET 2008

I think the basic insight stems from the fact that the average person sees
well over a thousand advertising messages a day (I can give reference to
this number if needed)

So, people tend to tune out ads, block them from their field of vision (if
not literally blocking them as Joseph does)

For a while, perhaps 7-8 years ago, search/text advertising seemed to work.
But ultimately people tuned this out, too.

Part of what the article is talking about is how these big moneyed companies
are buying audiences by way of buying up each other, or cutting deals. They
think they are buying users, like the Microsoft/Yahoo deal, this article you
link to speculates that maybe Microsoft is interested in Yahoo because MS
can "buy" users for it's "Live" web platform products, for instance, to
counter Google's threat to them, where Google is making useful free web
applications available that have people throwing out their Desktop MS apps
in favor of Google Web-enabled offerings.

The author also seems to be speculating that what MS and some others
(Myspace, etc) are missing is the social protocol in platforms like Twitter
and Facebook, where "gangs" of people can create mutually agreed upon
message passing channels around different interests (both in twitter
"follow/follow", and in Facebook super walls, both of wich can produce email
messages). The author of the article you linked to is saying that these
mutual social contract channels are where many people's attentions are most
strongly focused, and where influence is real, online. Mostly because people
have the transparency of knowing who info comes from via ongoing
relationships. So, *most people will only bother to pass messages in these
channels when they really actually like and care about what they are talking
about*. Otherwise, it can often be possible to see "marketing" based motives
in these channels.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy