[p2p-research] Health implications of wireless

Tere Vadén tere.vaden at uta.fi
Mon Feb 11 11:23:19 CET 2008

I have been following these discussions with one eye after having been
involved with some neuroscientists doing studies in Sweden (Antti
Revonsuo, Sakari Kallio).

Last week, we had a discussion in my place of work, a university dept,
over the placement of wifi routers. A colleague had measured top
emissions of over 1000 milliwats from the routers at peak bursts (over
100 times more than regular mobile phones). If some people get,
allegedly, trouble over mobiles, then the wifis are much more of a
problem. (We decided to move the routers further away).

The main problem, as I understand it, is that the official standards
(like the IEEE or the Finnish ministry for health regulations) are based
on fairly old research that looks only/mainly at the temperature
elevation. What the people found in Sweden & other places in the late
90's/early 00's was that mobile radiation (not talking to the phone) had
an effect on *cognitive* function. There are also the effects on
*biological* function, discussed in this thread. Now the problem is that
the known physical effect, i.e., elevated temperature, has no known
causal link to either the cognitive or the biological effects. This
means that the radiation is doing something (the cognitive, biological
effects), the causal mechanism of which we do not know, and which,
accordingly, is not taken into account in the standards & regulations.

The whole is complicated by the fact that all of this (mobiles, wifis)
is waves, producing real-life interference phenomena that are very hard
to study in laboratory conditions. (Imagine an airport bus after a plane
has landed and everybody switches their mobiles and laptops on at the
same time -- the waves are bound to interact in messy ways.)

Well, what left the most profound impression on me was that none of the
neuroscientists I knew allowed their children using mobiles.