[p2p-research] Health implications of wireless

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 18:58:30 CET 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 11:22 AM, Sepp Hasslberger <sepp at lastrega.com> wrote:

> It appears that the IEEE research and evaluation may have been slanted in
> favor of higher standards than are innocuous for human and other life. There
> are some who say that the exposure threshold set is WAY too high.
> IEEE acknowledges that there ARE dangers to biological tissues, but says
> there are practically no effects below the threshold for exposure.
>
> This review says there are numerous studies that have shown effects even
> at extremely low levels of exposure. The author advises caution and further
> research...

That is good advice

> http://www.mapcruzin.com/radiofrequency/henry_lai2.htm
>
> IEEE acknowledges that research is needed to* "determine the comparative
> biological effects of exposure to continuous wave and modulated (including
> pulsed) RFEM"* which is really what mobile phone and Wi-Fi technologies
> are all about. They are pulsed at low frequencies similar to biological
> signal frequencies. I believe the pulsing is a consequence of a technical
> choice: The Time Division Duplex or TDD protocol of data transmission.
>
> IEEE also says that "The IEEE recognizes that the perception of risk is an
> important aspect of the public's well being, because even the belief that a
> benign agent poses a danger may have an adverse effect on the believer."
>
> This does not sound very scientific to me. A person, according to the IEEE
> can get ill by *believing* that these EM waves can do harm. That is a very
> convenient way not to have to look at evidence of harm reported by people
> who use the technology or live close to transmission towers that irradiate
> them day in day out. It also means there is no way to prove harm, unless the
> industry and the IEEE decide to finance research that has a good chance of
> destroying their business, because individual cases are seen as merely
> "anecdotes".

Actually, without digging up a bunch of references, I think research has
shown that a person's beliefs/perceptions/ongoing state of mind can have a
HUGE affect on their actual health. One person who has done who has done a
huge amount of work in this areas is Bruce McEwen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_McEwen

So, taking this reality into account does seem scientific to me

> Sometimes cases do get into the press, especially when cancer clusters are
> found around an antenna that cannot be explained by anything else but the
> effects of the RF EM radiation. Here is a recent example.
>

> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/2/7/the-cell-phone-quot-tower-of-doom-quot.aspx
>
> Quote: "*Orange mobile phone company agreed to remove its cell phone mast
> -- dubbed the "Tower of Doom" -- from the top of a five-story London
> apartment building after seven of its residents got cancer.*
> *
> *
> *The cancer rate among those living on the top floor, where residents from
> five of the eight flats were affected, is 20 percent -- 10 times the
> national average."*

I agree, the research of IEEE does not seem very conclusive, nor do the
standards it has generated seem to keep pace with new data and information
emerging.

> **
>
> Nevertheless, although the IEEE does point to the need for further
> studies, these studies are not being done. You might ask why. The studies
> would endanger a trillion dollar industry. If you follow the auctions of
> spectrum to mobile access providers, you will have seen how much money is
> being made by governments selling that spectrum. So with industry and
> government closely allied, tied together by huge common financial interest,
> we can not expect that the needed research will be done. It would be against
> those interests to allow such research to go ahead.

I think this is the most compelling argument you have. At least it is the
one that resonates the most with me. Having been employed in the
telecommunications industry in the US for over 8 years, it would not suprise
me at *all* if telecommunications companies were able to wield a huge
influence over these safety standards through the influence of money and
lobbies. Telecomms in the US have extremely powerful lobbies.

> On the other hand, there ARE people who are super-sensitive and who suffer
> badly from RF EM exposure. But those people, according to the IEEE are poor
> deluded idiots who "*believe that **a benign agent poses a danger"* and
> are therefore suffering ill effects. I am in contact with several of these
> people. They are desperate over the apparently callous refusal of industry
> to pay any heed.

Well, I think that at least someone at IEEE was trying to keep it real by
including the real factor that belief can beyond the shadow of a doubt, have
a huge effect. They simply need to have enough comparisons of people who
believe vs those that do not to eliminate this as a significant factor. Like
you said, that research is probably not being done.

> Now we have had radio frequency EM waves for quite some time, with little
> ill effect. What changed, in my view, in recent times came with the
> introduction of digital technologies that required pulsed transmission
> protocols (TDD), which, according to the article in *The Ecologist* may
> well be the thing that links these EM waves closely to biological organisms
> where such a link was not present with previous analog technology.
>
> So my question really was, whether there is any chance that with passage
> from TDD (Time Division Duplex) to FDD (Frequency Division Duplex) we could
> be serendipitously making a change for the better, i.e. towards a protocol
> that has less of a chance to be damaging to human and other life.

Most of the recent research I have come across seems to lean towards FDD
being safer.

> I am not assuming that the IEEE standards are capable of preventing ill
> health effects, in other words.

I brought up IEEE because:

   - There *is* a scientific consensus from many standards bodies who
   have done actual research around their numbers.
   - Their research is based upon close to 40 years worth of testing and
   research combined to make their findings, specifically about the W per kg,
   and W range.

I don't think that the IEEE work is the last word, and I think in a world
where people in power cared about safety, the IEEE findings I referenced
would probably have not been good enough to base a set of standards off of.

I have to disagree with you that the publication that I referenced has
inaccurate information. I can find absolutely nothing that is based on
actual research, that disputes or refutes the numbers referenced.

When I referenced that report, and those numbers, I said:

"what is the usual mW output, and exposure of Frequency Division Duplex, and
what is the  amount of time exposure normally experienced? I think this will
give us a better idea of the danger/non-danger of FDD-based WiFi, and other
technologies (if you accept IEEE and other findings, which is agreed upon to
be at 4W/kg average exposure being the threshold for damage)."

I think if we are going to say that 4W/kg is inaccurate, we should have some
kind of evidence that refutes what that number is based on, which comes from
work from several international sources. all of which I do not believe are
on the payroll of telecomm companies.

Anyway, this is not a debate that I want to spend a lot of time on. And, it
is getting way of topic in it's present state for this list.

But, I think some real work needs to be done to establish a baseline that is
absolutely known not to be tainted by industry money. Then, you will have
something to judge FDD by. I think we both probably agree with that. So,
there really is not a conclusive answer to the actual question you are
asking at this time, from anyone :)

Sam

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com