[p2p-research] Health implications of wireless

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 06:20:51 CET 2008

Does anyone on this list have special knowledge on the following topic?

see:

   1. Sepp Hasslberger <http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/> Says:
   February 8th, 2008 at 4:33
pm<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/ecomm-2008-conference-will-report-on-wireless-revolution-in-the-making/2008/02/08#comment-185278>
   e<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/post.php?action=editcomment&comment=185278>

   Hi Michel,

   I won't be able to participate in this conference, but would like to
   ask you to bring up, either in your talk or perhaps better in your informal
   contacts, a question that is running around in my mind.

   You may have heard that apparently, wireless technologies, especially
   the mobile phone tech but also wifi seem to come with health problems.
   Tumors in heavy users of mobile phones and in people who live close to
   repeater antennas, headaches, an other less noticeable health effects cannot
   really be denied any longer. Two articles on my site detailing such health
   effects are:

   Mobile And Wireless - Largest Biological
Experiment<http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2006/04/20/mobile_and_wireless_largest_biological_experiment.htm>

   The Cell Phone Experiment: Is Mobile Communication Worth The
Risk?<http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2005/12/14/the_cell_phone_experiment_is_mobile_communication_worth_the_risk.htm>

   A recent article in *The Ecologist* narrows down the mechanism by
   which these EM waves may be affecting biological organisms:

   "There are many different theories on how electromagnetic radiation
   interacts with our bodies, but pulsed microwave radiation, such as that used
   by Wi-Fi and mobile phones, is thought to affect the body's cells in a
   unique way.

   Although microwaves oscillate (change direction) many thousands of
   times each second, the carrier pulses which convey your voice or emails
   along the signal actually oscillate at a much slower rate, only hundreds of
   times a second. This slower rate allows the pulses to interact with protein
   vibrational receptors, like microscopic hairs, on the membranes of our
   cells. The cells interpret this unusual stimulation as a foreign invader and
   react as any organism would - by closing down the cell membrane. This
   impairs the flow of nutrients into the cell or waste products on their way
   out. It also disrupts inter-cellular communication, meaning that clusters of
   cells that form tissues can no longer work as effectively together.

   The increase of trapped waste products can lead to an increase in the
   number of cancer-causing 'free radicals'. Worse still, a chemical known as
   'messenger RNA' inside the cell passes on this 'learned response' to
   daughter cells, meaning that the cell's offspring also learn to interpret
   microwaves as an external threat and react in the same way.

   The disruption in cellular processes is thought to lead to the many
   and various symptoms of electrosensitivity, and the build-up of free
   radicals released when the cell dies could be connected with the increase in
   tumors seen in those exposed to frequent doses of microwave radiation."

   and also

   "Both systems [Wi-Fi devices and mobile phones] use high-frequency
   microwaves that are 'pulsed' rapidly on and off to transmit data. This
   pulsed aspect of data transmission is important, because it means that,
   although a signal might appear to be low-powered when measured over a period
   of time, it could reach 'spikes' of much higher levels when data is actually
   being transmitted."

   So it doesn't seem to be necessarily be the microwaves that are bad
   for us, at least at low levels of strength, but the pulsing (the on-off
   between data packets) which links them to biological processes.

   Now recently, I have read that there may be different protocols of
   data transmission, that use different methods of separating the packets of
   data. One is time division duplex (TDD) and the other frequency division
   duplex (FDD).

   Could a passage of the technology of wireless communication from time
   division duplex to frequency division duplex eliminate what appears to be
   the major cause of 'linking' microwave radiation to biological tissues, that
   is, the low frequency division of transmitted data into time-detached
   'packets'?

   I realize that you may not have the answer to this, but as you are
   going to the conference with the wireless strategy planners, could you put
   that question to one or more of them? I would be very happy if you did.

   Perhaps passing from TDD to FDD (or some other change of that nature)
   could resolve many of the health problems we see today around the
   application of wireless technologies.

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: