[p2p-research] Fwd: Re: Wikipedia, Citizendium, Eduzendium

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 05:02:37 CET 2008

Hi Jon,

I think it is interesting that you would pursue the axis of conflict of
interest as well.

I have the habit of distinguish 3 main business models, 1) selling the
attention of sharers by platform owners; 2) building a business on top of
the commons and benefit sharing (IBM vs. Linux); 3) crowdsourcing (getting a
percentage on sales by distributed producers)

I think they are all three legitimate in current society.

For example, to become sustainable, I'm hoping to one day create a business
that can mobilize what I have learned from working on the p2pfoundation

I would do this without any prejudice to any other person or group wanting
to do the same, as the commons is for everybody,

Usually, as far as I'm aware, safeguards are built in, so that for example,
the Linux foundation, has only one vote per company, so that none can
dominate

So what 'exactly' is wrong with Jimmy Wales, his for-profit ventures, and
the wikipedia community? In my view, business ventures are legitimate; the
wikipedia content is open to everybody (and many companies are making a
living from it already, not just his),

so what is the precise point of the criticism

I read somewhere, that they are also on the board, I"m not sure that this is
by itself a strong critique, as long as this is transparent, they have been
elected in democratic procedures, and safeguards are built in against
domination of a particular interest.

Again, it would be nice to have a formal little article on this, for
publication, in which you can also make general points that are valid for
everybody

I'm not trying to give you work, but I think it is important to add your
insights in the collective learning experiences about peer governance, and
that our p2p forums are well-suited for that.

Michel

On Feb 5, 2008 9:00 PM, Jon Awbrey <jawbrey at att.net> wrote:

> o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o
>
> [Forwarding an envoi from Greg Kohs]
>
> > Subject: Re: [p2p-research] Wikipedia, Citizendium, Eduzendium, ...
> >    Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:42:03 -0500
> >    From: "Gregory Kohs" <thekohser at gmail.com>
> >      To: "Michel Bauwens" <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
> >      CC: "Jon Awbrey" <jawbrey at att.net>
> >
> > I guess I just didn't see how my main "axe to grind" would be
> > fitting into the discussion.  Plus, I'm on vacation in the Florida
> > Keys, so my dialog would be at the ever-present disdain of my wife.
> >
> > If I had to sum up my concerns about Wikipedia, it would fall under
> > the "God-King" governance and illegitimate leadership for building
> > an encyclopedia.  Not one person on the current or previous Boards
> > of Trustees or on the Arbitration Committee (that I know of) has
> > any real-world experience whatsoever in publishing an encyclopedia
> > of any kind.
> >
> > Jimmy Wales was a non-descript options market trader/researcher
> > who then dallied in an Internet "web ring" site that became best
> > known for images of topless women.  That's the God-King of the
> > world's largest compendium of human knowledge?  It wouldn't be
> > so bad if Wales knew how to run Wikipedia by delegating authority
> > to true experts, but instead he constantly asserts his authority
> > and deprecates the authority of others under him.  And to top it off,
> > he's ethically compromised by running a for-profit venture completely
> > on the coattails of the non-profit, donation-funded organization.
> > I truly am surprised that the IRS has not yet stepped in.
> >
> > Well, that's about it from me.  You are more than welcome to forward
> this
> > little note to the mailing list, but I don't see that I'll have the time
> > to continue participating, so I do appreciate your removing me from the
> > mailer.  I, of course, wish you and your colleagues the best of luck in
> > finding your way to the different truths about peer-to-peer
> collaboration.
> >
> > Kindly,
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > --
> > Gregory Kohs
> > Cell: 302.463.1354
> >

> > On Feb 4, 2008 10:51 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I will remove you, but it would have been more than interesting to have
> some
> > of your emotionally charged diatribes, that would be informative by
> itself ...
> >
> > Michel
>
> o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o
> inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
> mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
> mathweb: http://www.mathweb.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
> getwiki: http://www.getwiki.net/-UserTalk:Jon_Awbrey
> p2p wiki: http://www.p2pfoundation.net/User:JonAwbrey
> zhongwen wp: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
> ontolog: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?JonAwbrey
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: