[p2p-research] [P2P Foundation] From Citizendium To Eduzendium

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 03:30:52 CET 2008

Following this thread, I have to say I really like the idea of forking
Wikipedia. It needs a new social governance model that is based more on
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?SoftSecurity and
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?RadicalInclusiveness

"Notability" is a ridiculous requirement given the cheapness of space within
an average wiki, and given the presence of search, and information
architectures.

Deletion should be a *last resort* for quality assurance in a system where
content is expected to be produced by volunteers. The rule should instead be
figuring out how to accurately contextualize content, and incorporate the
different views, find references for claims, etc.

One of the problems with Wikipedia, vs. other successful wiki communities is
that wiki communities like Meatball wiki, etc are a group of maybe 12-25
regular contributors who work together to build trust and shared meaning.

Wikipedia is a group of 25 or so admins and enthusiasts who have come to see
themselves as pitted against the masses who throng into wikipedia every day.

Wikipedia would do better to invite contributors to join groups that are
focused on different areas of interest, and encourage people to get to know
one another, build dialogue/communication among people in these interest
groups. And, let these groups be held to soft security rules, in addition to
NPOV rules.

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552