[p2p-research] [P2P Foundation] From Citizendium To Eduzendium

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Mon Feb 4 19:44:57 CET 2008

Hi Michel, others

After being out for a walk, I thought I should slightly adjust my position :-)

On Feb 4, 2008 12:11 PM, Henrik Ingo <henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi> wrote:
> Sure, I completely agree that what is going on at wikipedia currently
> is crazy. I just wanted to point out that elsewhere we have thriving
> Open Source projects that are selective and undemocratic. So those
> notions in themselves cannot be at fault.

Thinking about it for a day, I still hold that many Open Source
projects are undemocratic, however I think most that are successful
put effort into encouraging new developments, even forks. (For
instance, there are always multiple kernel trees, often 2 versions of
samba, etc, but they are not considered forks since they are
officially encouraged.) So yes, while there still exists a right to be
selective, good projects at least accommodate for alternative
solutions to co-exist, if not always including them.

But still, I hold that the main failure of wikipedia is not
deletionism, that is more like a symptom. The core problem is the
governance process that allowed current leaders to become leaders.

henrik

email: henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
tel:   +358-40-5697354
www:   www.avoinelama.fi/~hingo