[p2p-research] [P2P Foundation] From Citizendium To Eduzendium

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Mon Feb 4 05:14:31 CET 2008

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

P2P Foundation wrote:

> There is a new comment on the post "From Citizendium to Eduzendium"
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/from-citizendium-to-eduzendium/2008/01/29
>
> Author : Michel Bauwens
> Comment:
> Hi Jon,
>
> I wonder then, if what you are putting into question
> is not the very process of peer production itself, i.e.
> the volontary contributions, the non-credentialism, the
> a posteriori selection through collective choice systems?
> Or are you just rejecting it in the case of producing
> encyclopedias?
>
> what then is the alternative?
>
> My own view is that producing based on voluntary contributions is sound,
> a major social innovation bringing many benefits, but that it poses the
> challenge of selecting for excellence, and that this is the area we have
> to work on. But I do not question the fundamental innovation of Wikipedia
> of creating an encyclopedia through voluntary contributions, and making it
> universally available, and having a participatory process of decision-making
> (which in this case, seems flawed as it does not select for excellence in
> a satisfactory manner)
>
> Michel
>
> See all comments on this post here:
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/from-citizendium-to-eduzendium/2008/01/29#comments
>
> To manage your subscriptions or to block all notifications from this site,
> click the link below: http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-subscription-manager.php

Michel,

I haven't been questioning the validity the peer ideal,
so far as I understand your understanding of it, but I
do begin to be surprised that you think Wikipedia has
much if anything to do with it.

If I seek to explain the divergence of perceptions here,
my first hypothesis would probably be that we have different
levels of experience with the actual workings of Wikipedia itself.

I see in all of us a strong desire to believe in certain types
of social organization, in particular, a learning community that
is dedicated to distributing the sum of human knowledge as widely
as possible.

There was a time when I imagined that Wikipedia might have been founded
for just that purpose, a time when I imagined that the rules of its order
might have been reasonably well-suited to achieving that end.

Increasing familiarity with the realities of Wikipedia
has taught me that neither imagining has substance.

In our discussions at The Wikipedia Review, I have often
referred to the distinction that Argyris and Schön made
between ''espoused values'' and ''enacted values''.
I am sure that everyone recognizes the distinction
under one name or another.

But it's critical to note that not every organization that espouses
certain ideals is really determined to enact those ideals, whether
this discrepancy occurs through deliberate deception, "bad faith"
self-deception, or merely through incompetence.

Whatever the case, it is not really necessary for us to figure out
whether a leader is a fool or a liar on order for us to decide that
we do not want to follow that leader any further.

Jon Awbrey

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o
inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
mathweb: http://www.mathweb.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
getwiki: http://www.getwiki.net/-UserTalk:Jon_Awbrey