[p2p-research] peer governance and democracy, request to Ned

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 15:46:59 CET 2008

Patrick, it is good to see you here.

I actually have basically the same response for you that I gave previously
to Ned.

I think your ideas can work on a *voluntary* basis, and I think people will
need a way to acquire a literacy of the dynamics they are participating in.

For instance, in http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/PriceAboveCost you
make a very important point about the reality of "rival goods":

"A consumer pays
PriceAboveCost<http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/PriceAboveCost>whenever
there is real or artificial rivalry.

Rivalry is 'real' when a product is scarce even after all effort has been
toward increasing abundance.

Rivalry is 'artificial' when a product is scarce because of actions by
owners to decrease abundance.

Artificial rivalry can be held in place when consumers do not know how to
organize and own the
PhysicalSources<http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/PhysicalSources>of
production themselves. A
UserOwned <http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/UserOwned> organization
does not employ artificial rivalry unless they are acting against
*new*users that are not yet owners - and in that case they are not a
true
UserOwned <http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/UserOwned> company."

Without literacy, people will tend to rely on social apparatus like states
to theoretically "fairly enforce" something like a best effort towards
increasing abundance in a product or resource.

So, literacy, or lots of verifiable transparency is needed.

This is actually the goal of a project I am working on now, with Marcin
Jakubowski. The idea here varies from UserOwner a bit, and can be found
here:

http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Ecotechnology_Buying_Club

Basically, consumers can fund small amounts up front, to engineers who make
a social contract with them to produce a proposed technology product at cost
of parts and labor. The technology designs are released under an open
license, they are not patented. And, the entire enterprise can be recreated
because there is a reporting process that tries to make transparent what is
done with the funding to develop products. Trying to show a best effort on
many dimensions that the product was not intentionally made scarce.

The biggest obstacle right now to what we are proposing, and to what you are
proposing, is a basic "literacy" among most people you would present the
idea to, about how it can works as an alternative to what they are currently
doing.

Probably for User Owner, the second biggest obstacle is government
regulation. But, careful research, and activist implementations could
quickly challenge legalities, and establish what falls under the law.

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451