[p2p-research] peer governance and democracy, request to Ned

Ned Rossiter ned at nedrossiter.org
Sun Feb 3 05:35:39 CET 2008

hi Michel, thanks for this.

As I note in my response to Daren's review, another challenge for
network governance is scale. And for massive projects/platforms like
wikipedia et al (and, let's face it, much of what the net tends to
do), there are always going to be those dysfunctional dimensions that
you refer to vis-a-vis platform owners vs. users.  I don't think
those tensions can ever be 'solved'.  But users can harass owners.
This worked to an extent with ICANN, facebook, etc.  What the history
of the net has shown again and again is that when enough users get
fed up they move on.  And that's where of course developers/
programmers are so important.

So what happens when people with an interest in governance don't have
the skills/time/interest to be programmers? Well, I guess that's
where they/we either develop basic skills and/or engage in the type
of lobbying with owners. In the case of the latter, a
representational structure creeps in and consequently structures the
mode of communication. And as you note, frustrations very quickly
arise.  It's no wonder that the net is so often presupposed as
inherently 'democratic' because of the way so many communicative
relations online reproduce the structural dynamics of 'democracy'.
But most thinking of net democracy still assumes a form of democracy
that reproduces the tropes of liberal democracy and the state form
(e.g. the residue of the citizen-subject is carried over to the net,
which I think is a big mistake).

The very existence of owners/sysops indicates the non-participatory
(or at least closed circle) dimension of networks. There is
frequently very little communication/participation between admins and
users.  And most are fine with this relation. Who wants to clear our
spam every day on a mailing list for example, or attend to the
numerous admin requests to process postings from non-subscribers
(which this list still has a strangely high amount of)?

The other obvious thing to note is that the culture of governance
varies considerably across widely adopted applications. Geert Lovink
documents this well in his analysis of mailing list cultures. This
points to the fact that a universal model of network governance will
never exist.

Personally, I'd be interested to read about how free labour in mmog's
might be thought of in terms of governance, and how such relations
and modes of production might hold the potential for political
organization.  And I'm interested in anthropologies on the governance
of small-scale projects - partly because such work can enable an
immanent relation and thus analysis of the practice of building
networks & concepts (i.e. network governance, in other words).

Another reason analyses of network governance are important is
because they reveal the limits or borders of networks. The conflicts
that arise within and across networks helps us understand the 'the
political' of networks and their geocultural dimensions.

best
Ned