[p2p-research] new crowdsourcing book is out

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 05:35:35 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Michel Bauwens
<michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> as you will have seen in the blog, I share your reservations about the
> crowdsourcing concept and practice but unfortunately, we do not control the
> use of language
>
> Jeff's book is good for documentary purposes, lots of examples and
> background to cases that may be familiar only by reference, but as usual,
> and this is well described in Adam's new draft introduction to his new
> ethical economy book, these type of books gloss over many things that are
> analytically important ....
>
> They do not advance any theoretical understanding of the underlying
> processes,
>
> Michel

Michel,

Looking forward to Adam's book!

Of course, I don't think you are supporting the idea by passing it
along. It will be interesting to see how this book, which will likely
end up being rather popular, will affect ideas about peer production
among people in more traditional business circles.

One might think that the book came out a year too late, and actually
missed all of the hype surrounding "crowdsourcing" enthusiasm. But,
there are huge swaths of people who are just now starting to think
about these ideas, when many early-adopters have already either given
up on some of them, or have drastically revised their thinking about
it from actual experience.

A side note: I can say that I am planning on employing actual
"crowdsourcing" in the Exploded View project, by  offering random
pictures of discarded technology parts, and asking people to identify
them, then collective filtering the identification data. This will be
part of a database of what is contained in mass produced goods.