[p2p-research] new crowdsourcing book is out

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 22:09:10 CEST 2008

Labeling this phenomenon "crowdsourcing" really puts a limited frame
around what is happening. It suggests that this is only the realm of
corporations who might wish to "outsource" work to a "crowd" of
people.

In fact, there are groups of people that have used peer-production and
collaborative, self-governing networks to by-pass the need for
corporations altogether. They have become "mutual self-sourcing"
groups.  Much of what is described in "crowdsourcing" is available to
any group of people with inexpensive tools and will to make it happen.

Furthermore, the "crowdsourcing" name seems to suggest that people's
interest is an exploitable resource for people seeking to amass
wealth. Successful peer production systems require social negotiation,
and mutual respect among a committed and vested group of people, who
will very likely actively resist becoming someone else's "resource"
should they detect the presence of that desire.

I wish the  "crowdsourcing" moniker could cease to exist in areas
where it does not apply (save maybe something like Amazon's Mechanical
Turk, etc)

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy