[p2p-research] good article on change dynamics in living systems, applied to changing organisations from within

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 09:13:20 CEST 2008

It would be interesting to look at the following assumptions from this
article as explored through the lens of emerging peer to peer phenomenon:

(1)    A living system only accepts its own solutions (we only support those
things we are a part of creating).
(2)    A living system only pays attention to that which is meaningful to it
(here and now).
(3)    In nature a living system participates in the development of its
neighbour (an isolated system is doomed).
(4)    Nature and all of nature, including ourselves is in constant change
(without 'change management').
(5)    Nature seeks diversity – new relations open up to new possibilities
(not survival of the fittest).
(6)    'Tinkering' opens up to what is possible here and now – nature is not
intent on finding perfect solutions.
(7)    A living system cannot be steered or controlled – they can only be
teased, nudged, titillated.
(8)    A system changes (identity) when its perception of itself changes.
(9)    All the answers do not exist 'out there' – we must (sometimes)
experiment to find out what works.
(10)    Who we are together is always different and more than who we are
alone (possibility of emergence).
(11)    We (human beings) are capable of self-organising – given the right
conditions.
(12)    Self-organisation shifts to a higher order.

---

I don't think all of the "living system" assumptions asserted above apply
directly to "human" systems, which have the capacity for foresight, and have
the ability to coerce and steer and control in the short term (and often
do). But, the assertions above could be assumptions upon which humans decide
to operate.

My question is: what are the assumptions that we can make about *human*
systems (which are divergent from the balance that tends to emerge in most
other living systems)? And, how are those assumptions relevant to what is
emerging in peer-to-peer phenomenon?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> http://iyeshe.wordpress.com/2008/08/22/the-bothand-of-leading-change-in-living-systems/
>
> --
> The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
> alternatives.
>
> Wiki and Encyclopedia, at http://p2pfoundation.net; Blog, at
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net; Newsletter, at
> http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p
>
> Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
> http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
> BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
> http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU
>
> KEEP UP TO DATE through our Delicious tags at http://del.icio.us/mbauwens
>
> The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by SHIFTN,
> http://www.shiftn.com/

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552