[p2p-research] Fwd: Free learning tools

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:03:21 CEST 2008

>From ZaidLearn  [
http://zaidlearn.blogspot.com/2008/04/free-learning-tool-for-every-learning.html
]

 Let's explore the idea that there is at least one excellent free learning
tool (or site) for every learning problem, need or issue!

*I want a FREE*:

   1. Easy-to-use and secure Internet browser?*
**Firefox*<http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/>
   2. e-Mail system?* **Gmail* <http://../>
   3. Social bookmarking tool? *del.icio.us* <http://del.icio.us/>
   4. Social bookmarking tool with collaborative learning features (groups,
   forums, etc.)? *Diigo* <http://www.diigo.com/>
   5. Tool to *translate* text or a webpage? *Google Language
Tools*<http://www.google.com.my/language_tools?hl=en>
   6. RSS reader? *Omea Reader*<http://www.jetbrains.com/omea/reader/index.html>
   7. Online RSS reader? *Google Reader* <http://www.google.com/reader>
   8. Online Calendar? *Google Calendar* <http://www.google.com/calendar>
   9. Tool to aggregate all my resources, mail, RSS feeds, etc, in one
   place?* **iGoogle* <http://www.google.com/ig> or
*Pageflakes*<http://www.pageflakes.com/>
   10. Platform to incorporate all my favorite tools within one environment?
   *Elgg* <http://www.elgg.org/>
   11. Learning Management System (*LMS*)? Easy, *Moodle*<http://moodle.org/>
   12. Hosted LMS? Here are
*SEVEN*<http://zaidlearn.blogspot.com/2008/02/any-free-hosted-cms-or-lms-yes-obama.html>
   !
   13. Tool to assist me in evaluating and selecting a LMS?
*EduTools*<http://www.edutools.com/index.jsp?pj=1>
   14. Learning Activity Management System?
*LAMS*<http://www.lamsinternational.com/>
   15. Collaboration tool? Connect with *Ning* <http://www.ning.com/>
   16. Social Networking tool? Tricky one! *Facebook*<http://www.facebook.com/>
   17. 3D online virtual world where I can socialize, connect and
learn? *Second
   Life* <http://secondlife.com/>
   18. Content Management System (*CMS*)? *Joomla* <http://www.joomla.org/>
   19. Tool to create my own website? *Webnode* <http://www.webnode.com/en/>
   20. *Virtual Classroom*? *DimDim* <http://www.dimdim.com/>
   21. Hosted Virtual Classroom?* **WiZiQ* <http://www.wiziq.com/>
   22. Tool to broadcast myself to the world? *USTREAM*<http://www.ustream.tv/>
   23. Tool to make calls from my computer?
*Skype*<http://www.skype.net/intl/en/>
   24. Videoconferencing chat service? *Vawkr* <http://vawkr.com/>
   25. Content *authoring* tool? How about two?
*eXe*<http://www.exelearning.org/>
   * *&* **CourseLab* <http://www.courselab.com/>
   26. Alternative to Microsoft Office? *OpenOffice*<http://www.openoffice.org/>
   27. Online suite of office tools? *Google Docs* <http://docs.google.com/>or
   *Zoho* <http://www.zoho.com/>
   28. Tool that accurately converts my PowerPoint to Flash (including
   animations)? *iSpring
Free*<http://www.ispringsolutions.com/products/ispring_free.html>
   29. Web authoring tool alternative to FrontPage and Dreamweaver?
*NvU*<http://www.nvu.com/>or
   *KompoZer* <http://www.kompozer.net/>
   30. Personal online notebook? *Google
Notebook*<http://www.google.com/notebook>
   31. Blogging tool? *WordPress* <http://wordpress.org/>! Why aren't you
   using WordPress? Good Question!
   32. Blogging tool for educators? *Edublogs* <http://edublogs.org/>
   33. Directory of edubloggers from around the world? *International
   Edubloggers Directory* <http://edubloggerdir.blogspot.com/>
   34. Microblogging tool? *Twitter* <http://twitter.com/>
   35. Wiki tool? *PBwiki* <http://pbwiki.com/>
   36. Encyclopedia, which I can add to or edit?
*Wikipedia*<http://www.wikipedia.org/>
   37. Community dedicated to collaborative development of free content? *
   WikiEducator* <http://www.wikieducator.org/>
   38. Audio recording tool? *Audacity* <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/>
   39. Tool to record and host my audio recordings online? *Odeo
Studio*<http://studio.odeo.com/>
   40. Tool to transform media into collaborative spaces with video, voice
   and text commenting? *VoiceThread* <http://voicethread.com/>
   41. Tool for storytelling? *Here are
50!*<http://zaidlearn.blogspot.com/2007/12/50-web-20-ways-to-tell-story-alan.html>
   42. Screencasting (recording) tool? *Wink*<http://www.debugmode.com/wink/>
   43. Hosted screencasting tool? *Jing* <http://www.jingproject.com/>
   44. Mindmapping tool? *FreeMind* <http://freemind.sourceforge.net/>
   45. Tool that lets me brainstorm and create mindmaps online?
*Bubbl.us*<http://bubbl.us/>
   46. Easy-to-learn 3D authoring software tool? *Google
SketchUp*<http://sketchup.google.com/>
   * *
   47. Alternative to 3D Studio Max?
*Blender*<http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/>
   48. *Photo/image* editing tool? *GIMP* <http://www.gimp.org/> or
*Picasa*<http://picasa.google.com/>
   49. Online photo/image editing tool? *Splashup*<http://www.splashup.com/>
   50. Tool to create cool personalized images? *Custom Sign Generator
   Widgets* <http://www.customsigngenerator.com/>
   51. Image Resizer? *Dosize* <http://www.dosize.com/>
   52. Watermarking tool?
*uMark*<http://www.uconomix.com/Products/uMark/Default.aspx>
   53. Screen Color Picker?
*ColorSchemer*<http://www.colorschemer.com/colorpix_info.php>
   54. Tool to highlight text in a webpage? *The Awesome
Highlighter*<http://www.awesomehighlighter.com/>
   55. Tool to create flowcharts, diagrams, technical drawings?
*Gliffy*<http://www.gliffy.com/>
   56. Tool to create comics and cartoons?
*ToonDoo*<http://www.toondoo.com/Home.toon>
   57. Tool to make screenshots from different browsers with one click? *
   Browsershots* <http://browsershots.org/>* *
   58. Tool to create PDFs from any Windows program?
*PDFCreator*<http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/>
   59. Online file conversion tool (e.g. Word >PDF>PowerPoint)?
*Zamzar*<http://www.zamzar.com/>
   60. Tool to *share* my slides? Too easy man!*
**SlideShare*<http://www.slideshare.net/>
   61. Tool to share my videos? Come on! *YouTube* <http://www.youtube.com/>
   62. Online science research sharing portal? *SciVee*<http://www.scivee.tv/>
   63. Online community to share and discuss instructional teacher videos? *
   TeacherTube* <http://www.teachertube.com/>
   64. Online community to share, discuss and learn about the uses of
   educational technology? *EdTechTalk* <http://www.edtechtalk.com/>
   65. Online community to test my big ideas? *Big
Think*<http://www.bigthink.com/>
   66. Tool to download videos from any video sharing site (YouTube,
   Metacafe, etc.)? *ClipNabber* <http://clipnabber.com/>
   67. Self-publishing tool (books, papers, articles, etc)?
*Scribd*<http://www.scribd.com/>
   68. Tool to share my pictures? Are you joking!
*Flickr*<http://www.flickr.com/>
   69. Space to upload and share my files? *eSnips* <http://www.esnips.com/>
   70. File hosting solution that allows me to share files up to 250MB each?
   *FileCrunch* <http://www.filecrunch.com/>
   71. Online *quiz *tool? *ClassMarker* <http://www.classmarker.com/>
   72. Tool to create interactive quizzes and puzzles? *Hot
Potatoes*<http://hotpot.uvic.ca/>
   73. Tool to create web and print-based crossword puzzles? *
   EclipseCrossword* <http://www.eclipsecrossword.com/>* *
   74. Inquiry-oriented lesson tool? *WebQuest* <http://webquest.org/>
   75. Online polling tool with a bit of fizzle?
*Polldaddy*<http://www.polldaddy.com/>
   76. Online survey tool? *Click here to
choose*<http://del.icio.us/zaidlearn/Survey/Polling>
   !
   77. Tool to create Flash *games* (templates)?
*ClassTools.net*<http://classtools.net/>
   78. Investment Simulation Game? *Virtual
Trader*<http://www.virtualtrader.co.uk/>
   79. Interactive 3D business simulator?
*INNOV8*<http://www-306.ibm.com/software/solutions/soa/innov8.html>
   80. Game to understand cancer better?
*Re-Mission*<http://www.re-mission.net/>
   81. Game to understand the scientific method and 21st Century Skills? *River
   City* <http://muve.gse.harvard.edu/muvees2003/index.html>
   82. Game to understand variable manipulations for urban management? *
   SimCity* <http://simcity.ea.com/play/simcity_classic.php>
   83. Game to understand social studies better? *Quest
Atlantis*<http://atlantis.crlt.indiana.edu/>
   84. Game to understand world hunger and efforts to alleviate it? *WFP
   Foodforce* <http://www.food-force.com/>
   85. Game to learn more vocabulary and help hungry people? Seriously! *
   FreeRice* <http://www.freerice.com/>
   86. Range of interactive tools to help me understand maths concepts? *Shodor
   Interactivate* <http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/>
   87. Tool to create my own *search* engine tailored to my needs? *Google
   Custom Search
Engine<http://zaidlearn.blogspot.com/2008/01/google-custom-search-for-openfree.html>
   *
   88. Human-powered search engine? *Mahalo* <http://www.mahalo.com/>
   89. Metasearch engine with visual display interfaces? What! Here is *
   KartOO* <http://www.kartoo.com/>!
   90. Search engine that groups the results by topic via automated
   clustering technology? *Vivisimo* <http://vivisimo.com/>
   91. Science-specific search engine? *Scirus* <http://www.scirus.com/>
   92. All-in-one research search tool? *Schoolr* <http://www.schoolr.com/>
   93. Tool to help me collect, manage, and cite my research sources? *
   Zotero* <http://www.zotero.org/>
   94. Tool that generates detailed statistics about the visitors to my
   website? *Google Analytics* <http://www.google.com/analytics/>* *
   95. Tool to search, discover, rank and compare different sites around the
   world? *Alexa* <http://www.alexa.com/>
   96. Tool to search the full text of books? *Google Book
Search*<http://books.google.com/>
   97. Tool to search for scholarly literature? *Google
Scholar*<http://scholar.google.com.my/>
   98. Tool to search for patents? *Google Patent
Search*<http://www.google.com/patents>
   99. Tool that sends me email updates of the latest relevant Google
   results (e.g. e-Learning)? *Google Alerts* <http://www.google.com/alerts>
   100. Energy saving search engine? *Blackle* <http://www.blackle.com/>
   101. Online visual dictionary and thesaurus?*
**Visuwords*<http://www.visuwords.com/>
   102. World digital *library*? *World Digital
Library*<http://www.worlddigitallibrary.org/>
   103. Tool to build and distribute my own digital library?
*Greenstone*<http://www.greenstone.org/>
   104. Site to find and search across all *OpenCourseWare *(OCW)
courses? *OpenCourseWare
   Consortium* <http://www.ocwconsortium.org/>
   105. Repository and learning network of Open Educational Resources (OER)?
   *OER Commons* <http://www.oercommons.org/>
   106. Site to get the latest updates on OER and OCW? *OER
Blogs*<http://oerblogs.org/>
   107. Portal to non-formal OER and training resources? *Open Training
   Platform* <http://opentrainingplatform.org/>
   108. Encyclopedia of video tutorials* *to help me learn any software? *
   Edumax* <http://www.edumax.com/> or
*Wikivid*<http://wikivid.com/index.php/Main_page>
   109. e-Book to learn more about e-learning 2.0? *Learning 2.0
eBook*<http://blog.missiontolearn.com/2008/02/learning-20-ebook-free/>
   110. Site to learn more about rapid e-learning? *The Rapid e-Learning
   Blog* <http://www.articulate.com/rapid-elearning/>
   111. Site to learn more about Online Course Development? *Hitchhiker's
   Guide to Course Development* <http://www.midsolutions.org/cms/>
   112. Crash course in learning theory? *Click
here!*<http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/01/crash_course_in.html>
   113. Database of Learning Theories? *Click
here<http://www.emtech.net/learning_theories.htm>
   * & *here* <http://tip.psychology.org/index.html>!
   114. Tool to help me understand and use learning styles
effectively? *Learning
   Styles Online.com* <http://www.learning-styles-online.com/>
   115. Repository of creative and critical thinking tools? *Mycoted to the
   rescue!* <http://www.mycoted.com/Main_Page>
   116. Route to learn more about the 21st century skills? *Route
21*<http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/route21/>
   117. Repository of how everything works?
*HowStuffWorks*<http://www.howstuffworks.com/>
   118. Repository of lectures from the world's top scientists? *
   Videolectures.NET* <http://videolectures.net/>
   119. Directory of academic open access repositories?
*OpenDOAR*<http://www.opendoar.org/>
   120. Site covering today's top social, political, and tech issues? *
   FORA.tv* <http://fora.tv/>
   121. Site to improve my learning skills? *Study Guides &
Strategies*<http://www.studygs.net/>
   122. Gaming tool to help me learn ICT?
*ReviseICT.co.uk*<http://www.reviseict.co.uk/>
   123. Tool to improve my typing skills? *Peter's Online Typing
Course*<http://www.typing-lessons.org/>
   124. Tool to improve my reading skills? *ZAP
Reader*<http://www.zapreader.com/>
   125. Interactive courseware to improve my workplace skills?
*ALISON*<http://alison.com/>
   126. Multimedia site that enhance our understanding of war and its
   history? *Maps-of-War* <http://www.mapsofwar.com/index.html>
   127. 3D human anatomy visualization tool? *Visible
Body*<http://www.visiblebody.com/>
   128. Tool to learn languages? *Mango*<http://www.mangolanguages.com/main>
   129. Tool to explore the World? *Google Earth* <http://earth.google.com/>
   130. Tool to explore the Universe? *WorldWide
Telescope*<http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/>
   131. Tool to visualize human development?
*Gapminder*<http://www.gapminder.org/>
   132. Tool to answer all my questions? *Answer.com*<http://www.answers.com/>
   133. Site with talks by the world's greatest thinkers and doers?
*TED*<http://www.ted.com/>is a good starting point!
   134. Article to reveal the secrets of the super-learners? *Click
here!*<http://zaidlearn.blogspot.com/2007/08/secrets-of-super-learners-graig-lambert.html>
   135. Link to the most innovative web 2.0 (and 3.0) lab in the world? *Google
   Labs* <http://labs.google.com/>
   136. Tool to stumble upon and discover great websites, videos, photos,
   etc. ? *StumbleUpon* <http://www.stumbleupon.com/>
   137. Daily newsletter that keeps me updated with the latest news on
   online learning? *Stephen's OLDaily*<http://www.downes.ca/news/OLDaily.htm>
   138. Site dedicated to tracking the changes occurring in education today?
   *Open Education* <http://www.openeducation.net/>
   139. Site to update me on the latest free instructional resources for
   Higher Education? *EduResources Weblog*<http://radio.weblogs.com/0114870/>&
   *Educational Technology* <http://people.uis.edu/rschr1/et/blogger.html>
   140. Site to discover *delicious* free tools, resources, and sites?
*ZaidLearn's
   Del.icio.us Discoveries* <http://del.icio.us/zaidlearn>
   141. Site to make you shut up? About time! Here we go:

*25 (must-have free) Tools: Professional Development Programme (Jane Knight)
* <http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/25Tools/activities.html>
In short, for every learning problem (or issue) we have today, there is
probably**<http://bp2.blogger.com/_337GUHQH0FY/R_QkV7MhKqI/AAAAAAAAA6o/IFBwHiz7z-A/s1600-h/socratic_tooling.jpg>a
free tool or site out there that enables us to solve it. If not, I am
pretty sure some genius out there is constructing it right now. If no one is
doing it, perhaps we can do it.
Another challenge is to integrate all our learning tools efficiently and
effectively into our learning spaces. On the positive note, more and more
tools are creating integration modules to widely used systems like Moodle
and Facebook, so it might not be so difficult after all. Also, with
*OpenID*<http://openid.net/>we can increasingly login to all our
favorite websites without much hassle.
Single-login to all our learning tools! Now that is something we all can
appreciate! Remember one password! Tough one!

If you want to experience my learning adventure as I discover, perhaps you
should subscribe to my Del.icio.us Learning
Adventure<http://del.icio.us/zaidlearn>!
Otherwise, you could always wait a week or two for the updates in this blog.
Have fun *'Socratic Tooling'* to solve your learning problems and issues :)

"ASIA COMMONS" group.
asia-commons+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com<asia-commons%2Bunsubscribe at googlegroups.com>
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/asia-commons?hl=en

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: