[p2p-research] “Philanthrocapitalism”: An oxymoron with promise?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 05:16:12 CEST 2008

Hi Sam,

I think your critique is spot on. While this kind of money is obviously
welcomed by those who receive it, it is no substitute for either a
democratic, or a self-aggregation/mobilization of resources

I seem to have no access to p2p foundation resources here in thailand today,
so can't add any note to the blog for now,

Michel

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear colleagues, would love your thoughts/opinions/criticisms/insights
> about this:
>

> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/philanthrocapitalism-an-oxymoron-with-promise/2008/04/29
>
> Writer Micheal Edwards' recent book http://www.justanotheremperor.org/takes a critical look at the hype surrounded the emerging phenomenon that
> some are calling "philanthrocapitalism": using business and market systems
> to affect social change. The main criticism from Edwards can be summed up in
> his opendemocracy.net article<http://www.opendemocracy.net/article/globalisation/visions_reflections/philanthrocapitalism_after_the_goldrush>
> :
>
> *"My worry is that the hype surrounding philanthrocapitalism<http://bookshop.blackwell.com/jsp/id/Philanthrocapitalism_How_the_Rich_Are_Trying_to_Save_the_World/9781596913745>will divert attention from the deeper changes that are required to transform
> society, reduce decisions to an inappropriate bottom line, and lead us to
> ignore the costs and trade-offs involved in extending business principles
> into the world of civil society and social change. I'm concerned that these
> questions, and the evidence that underpins them, are not being given a fair
> hearing. And I want to provoke a conversation in which different positions
> can be aired and listened to. The only way that philanthrocapitalism will be
> able to fulfill its considerable potential is by moving beyond the hype."*
>
> Mohammed Yunus <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Yunus> has also
> recently written a book that looks at how Social Enterprise can affect
> change. Yunus argues:
>
> *"The social business dollar is much more powerful than the charity dollar
> [..] Whereas the charity dollar can be used only once, the social-business
> dollar recycles itself again and again, ad infinitum, to deliver benefits
> to more and more people."*
>
> Although, I'll also point out that Social Entrepreneurship is *different *than
> "Philanthrocapitalism". Social Entrepreneurship as discussed by Yunus covers
> many scales, from small to large business. While, "Philanthrocaptialism" is
> defined by Edwards as:
>
>    - * "Resources: very large sums of money being committed to
>    philanthropy, mainly the result of the remarkable profits earned by a small
>    number of individuals in the IT and finance sectors during the 1990s and
>    2000s.*
>    - *Methods: a claim that methods drawn from business can solve
>    social problems, and are superior to the other approaches used in the public
>    sector and in civil society.*
>    - *Achievements: a claim that these methods can achieve the
>    transformation of society, rather than increased access to
>    socially-beneficial goods and services - a noble goal for sure, but
>    insufficient to lever deeper changes in the distribution of power and
>    resources across the world." *

> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: