[p2p-research] from a us intelligence briefing

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Mon Apr 28 07:56:42 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  - does capitalist society even gives a choice as to what life path
>  needs to be taken? many women (and men) would like to stay home a few
>  years to take care of the children, but cannot

Ah, I recommend reading

Manuel Castells and Pekka Himanen. The Information Society and the
Welfare State: The Finnish Model (2002)

...coupled with a subsequent relocation to Finland of course :-)

My newborn sons mother is at the start of a (up to) 3 year paid
maternity leave. (Which can of course be extended by the simple method
of having more children.)

And personally I'm enjoying my decision to work for a distributed
company such a Sun (former MySQL), where I spend 99% of my days
working from home office. So I'm working, but with my family.

There are various shades to capitalism and Himanen & Castells argue
Finland is an example of having the best of both worlds.

henrik

email: henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
tel: +358-40-5697354
www: www.avoinelama.fi/~hingo