[p2p-research] Fwd: [ox-en] [Fwd: [F/OSS-Community] The Total Growth of Open Source]

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 13:23:04 CEST 2008

>From the paper:

"Our analysis shows that the average commit size is almost constant while
the commit frequency (number of commits per week) increases exponentially
between Jan 1995 to Dec 2006. This verifies our findings about the
exponential growth in open source."

Interesting (and so is the model and method they used to filter the data).

Lines of code is of course different than factors like "number of people".
It would also be useful from a social perspective to know who the people
are, and in what context they are participating (personal, through
employment by business, self-employed, etc). But this is of course
impossible to discern from the data provided by ohloh.

Still, exponential growth of lines of code seems to me also to have some
connection to technology "growth" as described by Kurzweil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_change That at least seems to
apply frequently to technology that is useful, and that can be easily
evolved.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Sam Rose