[p2p-research] p2p conference hull

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 07:40:09 CET 2007

I'm forwarding it here, without attachment, so that should work!

On Nov 30, 2007 5:20 AM, Athina Karatzogianni <athina.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi michel,
> this email i sent out to p2presearch bounced back so please forward to
> where you see fit
>
> cheers
>
> athina
>

> Dear All
>
>  I have come up with a plan for the conference, and sketched out a
> possible budget which I will propose next week to my colleagues here
> at Hull university,  aiming at getting as much of the amount required
> (roughly £6,500-7) as possible covered by the different departments at
> the university (I am involving business, media, politics and possibly
> computer science and economics, plus the Enterprise Centre)
>
> The conference can look a bit like this:
>
> Day 1

> 9.15. Welcome
> 9.30 Keynote 1
> 10.20-10.40  Paper 1
> 10.40-11.00 Paper 2
> 11.20 Coffee Break
> 11.40-12.00 Paper 3
> 12.00-12.20 Paper 4
> 12.20-13.00 Paper 5
> 13.00-14.00 Lunch
> 14.00-14.20 Paper 6
> 14.20-14:40 paper 7
> 14.40-15.00 Paper 8
> 15.20 Coffee Break
> 16.00 Public Keynote 2 (This is open to the public)
> 5.30 Finish
>
> Day 2
>
> 10.00-10.20 Paper 9
> 10.20-10.40 Paper 10
> 10.40-11.00 Paper 11
> 11.20 Break
> 11.40-12.00 Paper 12
> 12.20-12.20 Paper 13
> 12.20-12.40 paper 14
> 13.00 Lunch break
> 14.00-14.20 Paper 15
> 14.20-14.40 Paper 16
> 14.40-15.00 Paper 17
> 15.20 Coffee Break
> 15.40 Roundtable Dicussion
> 17.00 Finish
>
> This gives us 17 papers, lasting 20 minutes each, 3 at a time, with a
> 20 minutes slot for questions. Then there can be 2 key note speakers,
> one in the morning, one for the general public in the afternoon as
> well (to justify some funding - dissemination to the general community
> bla bla). Also there is a round table discussion at the end, for which
> we will choose a mediator, and panelists  to discuss an issue we
> identify.
>
> Contributions to ideas of how this might work or changes you would
> like to discuss and register with me are very welcome.
>
> No decisions have been made on conference organisers/committee, i
> think we should include at least one person from hull (preferably
> business school or whoever provides funding) and you guys can nominate
> people for that (of course there is the option to let me handle it
> from here if you find it too much of a responsibility and i can ask
> you to review papers, decide on participants or help with things on a
> play it by ear basis, in p2p fashion). I am willing to facilitate
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm