[p2p-research] Fwd: Gift Nodes for a Network of Gift Communities

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 21:36:51 CET 2007

I agree with you Lion, about focusing on movements that resonate with
people, and with creating shared stories.

The other thing that I was getting at, was that I think that a a really
sustainable system, that can be a close companion to "alternative
currencies" will emerge not from exchange, bartering, or trading, but from
high quality sharing. I wrote about this here, today:

http://spreadloveproject.pbwiki.com/WhuffieAccounting#Intro

This doesn't negate what you are talking about, I agree with you Lion.

Yet, I also find more and more that people people are more interested in
"giving" and or sharing, rather than figuring out how they will barter or
put a price on what they are offering.

But, there are people who are also offering things that they really cannot
accept anything other than "hard currency" for. So, I think there is a place
for alternative bartering currencies, and a place for enhancements to giving
and sharing

Either way, I think what you are talking about applies, Lion. The idea that
I have in practice rigth now, with the people copied on this email, and
elsewhere, is to take existing "movements" and help the work with other
"movements" to  give/share, pool resources, and create exchanges and
bartering when necessary. I am more for the giving/sharing and pooling, than
the buying/selling or bartering for the most part. giving/sharing and
pooling I think my energies will create more re-useable value.

In fact, I think a big part of the "dying off" of these alternative currency
networks is precisely because they do focus on buying/selling or bartering,
which is a "zero sum" set of exchanges, where one person must "lose " a
deplete able resource of another within the system to "gain".  This is not
the only part of it, there are also the cultural aspects that you are
talking about.

I think that systems dedicated to mosly buying/selling or bartering be
bolstered by injections of supplemental surplus resources, because they are
made up of people who are in part not always focused on optimizing their
participation in buying/selling or bartering. Local State and Federal
governments do this by subsidizing with tax money. If those governments did
not subsidize with tax money, these economies would suffer (like th economy
of michigan suffers right now).

My theory, and perhaps the theory of others, is that giving, sharing and
pooling can be a grassroots way of subsidizing both alternative and regular
systems of buying/selling or bartering. My theory is that if these open and
self-governed giving/sharing/pooling foundations exist, then they will
bolster the more "fragile" economies of buying/selling or bartering.

But, they also need the "movements" that you talk about, Lion. I think that
some of the people who are copied on this email are connected to at least
some of the most likely existing "movements" that will be able to make this
happen...

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy