[p2p-research] Fwd: Gift Nodes for a Network of Gift Communities

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:52:55 CET 2007

Geoff Chesshire (http://regenerosity.com)  also mentioned
http://givegetnation.net and William Shanely :)

I think it would be awesome to learn from the approaches of Timothy and
William.

One of the things that I am thinking about is how to employ existing data
that is output by existing workspaces that each group is using, and then put
that together, perhaps in an online aggregator, but limited to groups who
agree to participate. Each group could also but a link to this on their own
"gifts" pages. This could be a quick way to make 'version .01'., without
asking any particular group to radically change what they are doing right ,
or where they are doing it.  Some people's work group software can show rss
feeds right on pages, so this can be a way to give a window into the wider
"group to group" network

Overtime, we could, and definitely should,  explore moving these activities
into a software environment that can give more convenience, more tools for
encouraging and aiding useful gift ecologies.

I also think that both Tara Hunt, and her rapidly growing
http://spreadloveproject.pbwiki.com/ and Geoff Chessire's
http://regenerosity.com have some seriously useful ideas for enabling/aiding
and aiding group-to-group cooperation/collaboration.

I have copied Tara and Geoff on this email. I think the idea of "thanking"
people helps to re-inforce and sustain the exchanges. It is a key missing
component, I believe, in many alternative economies. I think this is why
even vibrant alternative economies have failed in the past, as myself and
Lion Kimbro discussed on this page recently, where Lion talked about the
eventual disintegration of once vibrant alternative currency/economies in
the Seattle area during the 1970's/1980's.

Myself and Lion conjectured that these systems "crest and fall" because the
"feeling" of building something new, good, beneficial, that people got from
their participation was not passed on to new members once the original
people faded out of the system. So, systems that re-inforce this "feeling"
in genuine ways are a key ingredients, in my opinion.

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com