[p2p-research] Gift Nodes/Exchange Nodes

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 08:10:53 CET 2007

Hi Sam,

I would welcome such a page, though so far, our own requests for assistance
in knowledge creation have been less than successfull ...

I think as usual, there needs to be a person behind it, who can stimulate
the process, and I have had not enough time for community development

my dream is to find such a person for the p2p foundation!

Michel

On Nov 26, 2007 6:29 AM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a great conference call with Steve Bosserman, and  Andrius
> Kulikauskas, of Minciu Sodas yesterday. One of the items Andrius mentioned
> was a project on Work Nets wiki where participants are listing "gifts" they
> have to offer, or items they'd like to receive, on their site:
>
> http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts
>
> One of the things we talked about is that it seems to be more successful
> for smaller  groups who collaborate together, to create these types of
> exchanges, or giving "boards" amongst themselves, rather than creating a
> monolithic "service" that is meant to attract many people who are anonymous
> to one another. The groups of people who know each other are more at ease
> giving and sharing like this.
>
> We have been exploring a bartering exchange at
> http://www.communitywiki.org/en/InternetExchange. This is a bit different,
> in that it is meant to be a list of skills that can be bartered for in some
> way, either for LETS, or for some "equivalent" skill.
>
> And, of course in P2P foundation, we're developing a resource pool.
>
> An idea that Andrius raised in our conference call was to think about how
> to connect "giving" networks between groups, so that, for instance if no one
> at http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts is interested in what is being
> offered or requested there, maybe people in groups where there is overlap in
> participants, would be interested? It might be possible to create "Gift
> nodes" that connect these giving pages on different communities?  This is
> kind of like we've created at http://www.communitywiki.org/en/WikiNode,
> but specifically centered on connecting pages like http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts
>

> My friend Lion Kimbor, who helped me create
> http://www.communitywiki.org/en/InternetExchange, has brought up the point
> that there are some things that we would like to offer, but cannot really
> afford to offer for free. There are some types of work that we would like to
> post as being available to do for the greater community, but would need
> something in exchange for (even if that is just LETS or community currency
> that is used solely for those exchanges.)
>
> So, what I would like to propose is that it we could create a "Gift" page
> that is similar to http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts for the P2P
> foundation, and one for CommunityWiki. And, if there is interest, that we
> might also create a local "InternetExchange" for P2P foundation and perhaps
> Worknets, that is similar to
> http://www.communitywiki.org/en/InternetExchange, and that we create links
> between these ("Gift Nodes", "Exchange Nodes"). And, we think about how to
> keep these first centered and catered to their respective communities, but
> also open for access between communities, mostly through symbolic link. I
> propose that these pages would be public facing, like
> http://www.communitywiki.org/en/InternetExchange and
> http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts

> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm