[p2p-research] ames Herbsleb on Open Source Ecologies

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 06:47:40 CET 2007

Very interesting Paul, I'd appreciate more of the same ... but perhaps with
also links if they are available ...

I would like to remind this group that we have research pages in our wiki,
and I would encourage everyone of you to send me your own research material
for updates ..

see http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Research

This is also for your students, both PhD and Master's.

I would also very much appreciate if you could send me your bios for update
or inclusion here at
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Individuals

Michel

On Nov 26, 2007 11:43 PM, Paul B. Hartzog <paulbhartzog at gmail.com> wrote:

> perhaps an interesting scholar/work
> -p
>

> James D. Herbsleb
>
> Associate Professor, Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
>
> Open Source Ecologies
>

> Abstract --
>

> Open source software communities, once primarily the realm of volunteer
>
> "hobbyists," have become a powerful mechanism enabling cooperative
>
> construction of public goods.  Firms, volunteers, foundations,
>
> consultants and others participate in a wide variety of ways, forming a
>
> complex network of relationships -- an ecology.  In this talk I will
>
> describe preliminary results from two studies that seek to shed light on
>
> how these ecologies function.  First is a qualitative study of how the
>
> Eclipse ecology solves the problem of allowing competitors to
>
> collaborate over distance in the creation of a common platform, while
>
> simultaneously building competing products on top of the platform.
>
> Second is a study of the how the ongoing influx of commercial developers
>
> affects volunteer participation in the Gnome community.  Our results
>
> show that the influx tends to drive volunteers away from the particular
>
> modules the commercial developers work on, but "well-behaved" commercial
>
> developers actually attract new volunteers to the project.  I will
>
> conclude with a few conjectures and open problems.
>

> Bio --
>

> James D. Herbsleb is Associate Professor of Computer Science and
>
> Director of the Software Industry Center at Carnegie Mellon
>
> University. His research interests lie primarily in the intersection of
>
> software engineering and computer-supported cooperative work, focusing
>
> on such areas as geographically-distributed development teams, open
>
> source software development, and more generally on coordination in
>
> software engineering. He holds a JD (1980) and a PhD in psychology
>
> (1984) from the University of Nebraska, and an MS in computer science
>
> (1991) from the University of Michigan.
>

> After completing a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of
>
> Michigan, he moved to Carnegie Mellon's Software Engineering Institute,
>
> where he led an effort to empirically validate the CMM for Software. He
>
> then joined the Software Production Research Department at Lucent
>
> Technologies, where he initiated and led the Bell Labs Collaboratory
>
> Project, which conducted empirical studies and designed collaborative
>
> technologies and practices for global software development. He is
>
> currently PI on two NSF-funded projects investigating various aspects of
>
> collaborative software engineering. His research interests are in
>
> geographically-distributed software engineering, open source software
>
> development, collaboration over distance, and tools and technologies
>
> that support coordination.
>

> The Collaboratory for Research on Electronic Work (CREW) is composed
> of students and faculty who are interested in the novel ways of
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm