[p2p-research] Gift Nodes/Exchange Nodes

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 00:29:05 CET 2007

I had a great conference call with Steve Bosserman, and  Andrius
Kulikauskas, of Minciu Sodas yesterday. One of the items Andrius mentioned
was a project on Work Nets wiki where participants are listing "gifts" they
have to offer, or items they'd like to receive, on their site:

http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts

One of the things we talked about is that it seems to be more successful for
smaller  groups who collaborate together, to create these types of
exchanges, or giving "boards" amongst themselves, rather than creating a
monolithic "service" that is meant to attract many people who are anonymous
to one another. The groups of people who know each other are more at ease
giving and sharing like this.

We have been exploring a bartering exchange at
http://www.communitywiki.org/en/InternetExchange. This is a bit different,
in that it is meant to be a list of skills that can be bartered for in some
way, either for LETS, or for some "equivalent" skill.

And, of course in P2P foundation, we're developing a resource pool.

An idea that Andrius raised in our conference call was to think about how to
connect "giving" networks between groups, so that, for instance if no one at
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts is interested in what is being
offered or requested there, maybe people in groups where there is overlap in
participants, would be interested? It might be possible to create "Gift
nodes" that connect these giving pages on different communities?  This is
kind of like we've created at http://www.communitywiki.org/en/WikiNode, but
specifically centered on connecting pages like
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts

My friend Lion Kimbor, who helped me create
http://www.communitywiki.org/en/InternetExchange, has brought up the point
that there are some things that we would like to offer, but cannot really
afford to offer for free. There are some types of work that we would like to
post as being available to do for the greater community, but would need
something in exchange for (even if that is just LETS or community currency
that is used solely for those exchanges.)

So, what I would like to propose is that it we could create a "Gift" page
that is similar to http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts for the P2P
foundation, and one for CommunityWiki. And, if there is interest, that we
might also create a local "InternetExchange" for P2P foundation and perhaps
Worknets, that is similar to
http://www.communitywiki.org/en/InternetExchange, and that we create links
between these ("Gift Nodes", "Exchange Nodes"). And, we think about how to
keep these first centered and catered to their respective communities, but
also open for access between communities, mostly through symbolic link. I
propose that these pages would be public facing, like
http://www.communitywiki.org/en/InternetExchange and
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts

If people are interested, I will make this a public-facing, openly-editable
"wiki" page on http://socialsynergyweb.com/resourcepool

Lion, and Andrius, I have copied you on this email, and please feel free to
join http://listcultures.org/mailman/listinfo/p2presearch_listcultures.orgif
you'd like this is a mailing list that grew from
http://www.ntu.ac.uk/p2pworkshop2007/programme/index.html

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy