[p2p-research] p2p resource pooling

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 03:19:40 CET 2007

I agree with Ned that we have to keep the legal stuff to a minimum, and
solve the situation as we go.

Perhaps sam can look in the christian needs sharing groups in the US, this
is very similar to what we propose and they have been doing it for years.

We are simply 'giving' money to be each other, and at least in europe, that
is a free and legal activity (perhaps within certain bounds that I'm not
aware of)

Michel

On Nov 25, 2007 3:16 AM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2007 1:59 PM, Ned Rossiter <ned at nedrossiter.org> wrote:
>
> > it's great to see these developments racing ahead, but I think
> > there's something tragic about the funding legal fees in the first
> > instance. That's one of the reasons I'm not an advocate of CC - all
> > rounds eventually lead to the lawyer's bank account.
>

> Ned, you raise a good point. I think that while we are "beat testing" we
> can just have an informal agreement amongst ourselves, while we explore the
> simplest way to organize this.
>
> I will tell you that I do participate in a money pooling experiment that
> has absolutely no formalization or legal vetting: http://scommunitywiki.org/CommunityWikibank
> but that group has a very high amount of co-evolved trust over time.
>
> Personally, I trust everyone in this group who might be interested to
> participate npooling resources.
>
> Ned, I have to agree with you. There must be some way for us to legally
> protect participants without having to line the pockets of lawyers. I
> actually believe that I/we could rsearch the legalities ourselves, perhaps
> with assis
>

> > I like the idea of a LET's style in-kind contribution of skills/
> > capacities, and this is where the p2p network needs to expand to get
> > someone with some legal savvy on board. Andrew Kenyon at University
> > of Melbourne may be one such person (he's also familiar with US legal
> > systems, but if the US is going to be the primary legal code - which
> > makes some sense if p2p is going to register as a legal entity in the
> > US - then perhaps a friendly lawyer in the states is a better move. I
> > can contact Andrew if that's a good idea.
> >

> Please do, I'd really appreciate it. I will also try to connect with folks
> who I know locally, that have legal knowledge. We may not need to
> incorporate in US, we actually should able to use existing non-profit
> foundation status of P2P foundation, which is incorporated in Netherlands,
> and this would save having to create a whole new organization, since Michel
> already went through the steps of creating p2p foundation as legal entity.
> Maybe we'll just explore trying to employ that existing organization, to
> save time and money (plus maybe Dutch law is more liberal when it comes to
> money pooling and "investing club"-syle arrangements like this?)
>

> > Also: I think an 'identity' and culture needs to be established in
> > order for people to have some kind of affective relation to this
> > network that translates into financial donations, subscriptions etc.
> > At least that's how I feel. Perhaps the p2p foundation provides that
> > identity, and  there are some on this list that have strong
> > connections with p2p foundation. but it's hardly universal, at least
> > as far as this network is concerned.
>

> The basic structure that we've employed is that exiting members invite new
> members. So, there is a personal level of connection there. It doesn't have
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm