[p2p-research] p2p resource pooling

Ned Rossiter ned at nedrossiter.org
Sat Nov 24 19:59:57 CET 2007

it's great to see these developments racing ahead, but I think
there's something tragic about the funding legal fees in the first
instance. That's one of the reasons I'm not an advocate of CC - all
rounds eventually lead to the lawyer's bank account.

I like the idea of a LET's style in-kind contribution of skills/
capacities, and this is where the p2p network needs to expand to get
someone with some legal savvy on board. Andrew Kenyon at University
of Melbourne may be one such person (he's also familiar with US legal
systems, but if the US is going to be the primary legal code - which
makes some sense if p2p is going to register as a legal entity in the
US - then perhaps a friendly lawyer in the states is a better move. I
can contact Andrew if that's a good idea.

Also: I think an 'identity' and culture needs to be established in
order for people to have some kind of affective relation to this
network that translates into financial donations, subscriptions etc.
At least that's how I feel. Perhaps the p2p foundation provides that
identity, and  there are some on this list that have strong
connections with p2p foundation. but it's hardly universal, at least
as far as this network is concerned.

So I wonder if more work needs to be done to build up the network -
to see if it has any legs - before all the legal work and financial
expenditure is done.

I saw a recent example of the legal and funding frameworks being done
with an alternative network in Seoul. They had heaps of money and no
ideas.  In other words, they didn't know how to spend the money.  I
think there's a danger of going down a similar path with this
network.  But maybe I'm seeing this the wrong way - perhaps this
network is something that straps on to various existing projects.
After the nottingham meeting, though, I'm still unclear what those
are and what inter-connections exist.

best
Ned