[p2p-research] "Open" Design and Coworking-based Fabrication, User Ownership

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 03:08:01 CET 2007

I talked with some of you in Nottingham about the emerging phenomenon of
"Open" (non-patented) -licensed rapid prototyping and fabrication machines.

I've got a page that I am working on here:

http://communitywiki.org/en/SandBenders

That page is mostly a set of notes, and a kind of loose alternative future
scenario. A few of the technologies listed are actually "open" licensed, but
many are just examples of existing lower-cost commericial fabrication
technologies.

Right now, I am also working with Steve Bosserman on some of the ideas he
lists here:

And, we will likey join forces with Mincius Sodas (http://www.ms.lt/),
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi, http://p2pfoundation.net, and others
interested in "peer" fabrication to create connections between our research,
since there are many groups now basically "reinventing the wheel", we can at
least compare notes, and maybe start to set up some infrastructure to share
designs. I'll be sure to keep you posted here.

Also, I mentioned "User ownership" to George in conversation, and that is
taking shape here:

http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/UserOwner
http://p2pfoundation.net/User_Ownership

--