[p2p-research] DRM standards

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 06:23:34 CET 2007

The problem that ODRL tries to solve is an interesting one. I guess I don't
really see how ODRL is like what is normally discussed as "DRM".

For instance, compare with Sun's OpenDRM from a couple of years ago:

http://lessig.org/blog/2006/03/opendrm.html

This actually is a cryptographic system, which claims to be an "OpenDRM".

Most DRM is a mechanism for enclosure that is designed for
business/monetization of content and technologies. DRM (including Sun's
"OpenDRM") works towards "physically" removing access to code or hardware.

In contrast, metadata like ODRL could be used to do something that I already
do, for example, which is to "tithe" money to open source software projects,
when I make money using them, to pay people for commercial use of artefacts
and content they release under certain licenses that require you to do so,
etc.

As we discuss in the
http://www.communitywiki.org/en/CyberneticEconomy"networked data" that
is standardized can become part of a cybernetic system
that has potential to make it easier, and more convenient to be "ethical".
Once the positive externalities become apparent, and once the positive
effects feedback to enough people, and when it is easy ("cybernetic"), then
it will become appealing to many people. Some have also discussed issues
related to this at http://www.communitywiki.org/en/PayExpected

>From a media ecology perspective, ODRL can help (some) people realize the
nature of resources they are using, the nature of the production and
distribution. Successful "enforcement" can be voluntary, self-enforced.

On Dec 24, 2007 1:11 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> any commentary on this:
>
> http://www.xrml.org/about.asp
> http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Digital_Rights_Language
>
> just wondering how drm related 'open standards' should be judged?
>
> Michel
>
> --
> The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
> alternatives.
>
> Wiki and Encyclopedia, at http://p2pfoundation.net; Blog, at
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net; Newsletter, at
> http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p
>
> Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
> http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
> BEST VIDEO ON P2P: http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU
>

> KEEP UP TO DATE through our Delicious tags at http://del.icio.us/mbauwens
>
> The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
> http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Cel: +1-517-974-6451