[p2p-research] Your Swarm Registration / enterprise p2p governance

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 13:22:31 CET 2007

Dear Henrik:

I think you hit the nail on the head with your explanation of why there is a
fundamental contradiction for the peer to peer governance of corporations.

Can we imagine market vehicles which are not subjected to the feudal
constraints, and financial dependency, of the corporate format?

Can we imagine new forms of ownership that act in a distributed fashion,
creating a pseudo-commons or a quasi-commons, i.e. in which power is not
concentrated and does not act as a restraint for free cooperation.

I think also there is another major stumbling block: nl. that operating in a
market requires cost recovery, and hence many requirements for conditional
delivery of work, again incompatible with the self-unfolding nature of peer
production.

All of this does not mean of course, that hybrid models are possible in
which the corporate format tries to incorporate aspects of participation, as
long as it stays under its control.

I have create a hierarchy of engagement between communities and companies,
which has at least 10 different possibilities, all requiring different forms
of governance:

See

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/what-kind-of-economy-are-we-moving-to-3-a-hierarchy-of-engagement-between-companies-and-communities/2007/10/05

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm