[p2p-research] DRM standards

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Wed Dec 26 15:41:34 CET 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 10:41 AM, Nicholas Bentley <nicholas at commonrights.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I agree with both Henrik's and Hervé's interpretation on the problems of
> enforcing strong DRM in an open system and the problem of reducing the human
> complexity (copyright laws in this case) to logical rules. However I believe
> that producing open standards in Rights Expression Languages (RELs) and
> trying to express the rights associated with content clearly is a worthwhile
> endeavor.
>
> From the point of view of my alternative DRM system of Common Rights (which
> would be totally open itself) an open REL like ODRL would be very important
> because trying to clearly state the human/social rules is integral to the
> system. The reason why I believe the Common Rights system could be open in
> comparison to other DRM is because it relies on regulating rights not
> content.  The CR system would define clearly who has what rights and then it
> relies on other social and environmental forces to encourage people to
> fairly reward authors and other contributors.
>
> So open standards in RELs is very important.
>
> Nicholas

Ah, indeed. So this is actually quite the same for which Creative
Commons already created its own RDF based markup language. Such
standard(s) would indeed be desirable.

Moreover, it is probably best not to call such a system DRM at all.
(It could be a component of a DRM system, but would have valuable
independent uses of its own, of which Creative Commmons is a good
example.) DRM automatically leads me to think of a system where the
content is restricted by some sort of encryption/obfuscation.

I do not know, apart from "Rights Expression Language" what these
tools should be called though.

henrik

email: henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
tel:   +358-40-5697354