[p2p-research] Two new university presses and a 'co-publishing' model

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 18:51:38 CET 2007

Richard,

I've wondered if it might be possible for academic authors and interested
scholoars to adopt some of the methods of OJS
http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojsparticularly enabling peer review.

This seemed to me to have some promise as a University press alternative,
especially if tools can be developed to publish via print-on-demand.

Similar "co-publishing" cost sharing models could work for some form of
"Open" Academic Press. I also think that such an "open" model press system
could gain credibility, mostly by producing high quality works over time.

Right now, I am in the process of building two different "commons"-based
education platforms, for projects that want to pursue education outside of
the University systems. I know that others are doing this, too. One of the
platforms that I am building is in conjunction with
http://www.openfarmtech.org/  the open source ecology project, to create
project and knowledge commons spaces, and eventually education material
based on open licensed technology. This means that technical, and scientific
research is going to be done in an open way, and that scientific research
will be applied to open design, and technological development processes.

I think as this type of activity increases, there will be a growing
alternative path for people who want to educate themselves. And,  there will
be a growing alternative path for academics who want to research/develop,
and publish for different areas.

Co-publishing could actually become "distributed" publishing, incorporating
ideas like the http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/MicroBook idea Print
on demand and "Micro book" publishing can *cut* costs dramatically (entry
cost is close to zero)

Everyone in the network could make volumes available, and "cost sharing"
could extend to everyone who uses the network, including all business
entities, though not required for using it digitally by individuals, for
instance.

If you go to a location, you could get your book sections from a print on
demand machine, or access online. Full books could still be published and
sent to libraries of course

On Dec 21, 2007 12:06 PM, Richard Adler <RichardAdler at oort-cloud.org> wrote:

> There's an interesting piece in today's 'Inside Higher Ed' concerning the
> newly founded Webster University Press and Lee University Press:
>
> http://insidehighered.com/news/2007/12/21/upress
>
> Collaboration may not be an entirely new phenomenon among university
> presses, but a term like 'co-publishing' raises interesting possibilities in
> the current publishing environment.  While their vision is not what Paul
> Hartzog and I have in mind when we speak of 'social publishing,' it might,
> at least, suggest that some in the world of traditional publishing may be
> more open to alternative models than they would have been in the past.
>
> Richard Adler
> Electronic Records Archivist
> Michigan State University

Sam Rose