[p2p-research] Challenging Groupware, February 12, 2008

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 16:54:25 CET 2007

John, thanks for this.

Also, please feel welcome to join an exploration in creating an open source
Linux Operating System distribution that can enhance distributed/mediated
collaboration, taking place here:

http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/CommunicationsTower

We are trying to address some of these issues with a set of tools that
enable video and audio communications, and use text-based collaboration
tools to support these interactions.

On Dec 21, 2007 10:26 AM, John Postill <jpostill at usa.net> wrote:

> Challenging Groupware: Emerging configurations for distributed Interaction
>
> February 12, 2008
> Commonwealth Club, London, UK
>
> 2008 marks the 20th anniversary of Johansen's book which popularised the
> term
> Groupware. Over this time we have seen a substantial body of studies of,
> and
> systems supporting, distributed collaboration. One result is that 'loosely
> coupled' asynchronous and semi-synchronous distributed interaction is now
> commonplace. However significant challenges remain in supporting
> tightly-coupled activities between remote groups of people. Studies
> continue
> demonstrate a range of problems that arise in interaction over systems
> designed
> for distributed 'group' collaboration and such interaction falls well
> short
> of
> the richness to be found in everyday, face-to-face settings.
> These issues and concerns become increasingly important in the context of
> social
> and organisational developments, such as the emergence of global firms and
> scientific collaboratories. To pursue these issues the colloquium draws
> together
> a collection of international experts to consider two interrelated themes:
> (i)
> developments in the study of interaction and co-participation amongst
> distributed groups and (ii) advances in the configuration of interfaces
> and
> systems to provide richer support for inter-group collaboration.
>
> Speakers will include:
> - Kenton O'Hara, Hewlett Packard Labs (UK)
> - Gloria Mark, University of California, Irivine (USA)
> - Roger Slack, Bangor University (UK)
> - Tony Tang, University of British Columbia (Canada)
> - Mike Fraser, University of Bristol (UK)
>
> Admission: Free
>
> If you would like to attend this event, please email: dylan.tutt at kcl.ac.uk
>
> (Sponsored by the MiMeG Research Node of the UK ESRC National Centre of
> e-Social
> Science)

Sam Rose
Social Synergy