[p2p-research] [P2PFNL] Ning and Knol

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:01:13 CET 2007

Here is a list of infrastructure projects that have a similar spirit, see
http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Exchange_Infrastructure_Projects

I'm putting you also in touch with Francois Rey, who I think has very
similar ambitions.

Your input (Martien and everybody else) on these two proposals below, via
our blog, would also be very welcome:

1) does it make sense to have complementary currencies for user-generated
content?

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/complementary-currencies-for-user-generated-content/2007/12/17

2) should some public property be converted into common property?

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/converting-state-property-to-commons-property-the-case-of-public-broadcasting/2007/12/17

Michel

On Dec 17, 2007 8:46 PM, Martien van Steenbergen <Martien at aardbron.nl>
wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2007, at 14:17 , Michel Bauwens wrote:
>
> > Martien,
> >
> > can you explain the difference between a do-it-yourself network
> > such as Ning, and campfire ...
>
> Ning has more features: blog, social net, forum, web site, etc.
> Ning is centralized:
> Ning has it's own (customizable) look & feel (skin, template).
>
> Campfire is intended to be fully distributed in architecture. NO
> central nodes by design (only by emergence, e.g. like the emergence
> of cities, towns and villages). A Big Friendly Giant may emerge
> because it has more CPU power, storage, bandwidth, cost-
> effectiveness, reliability, scalability, etc.
>
> Campfire is a set of infrastructural distributed social services.
>
> Data is replicated and distributed in the spirit of the Wizard,
> Rabbit and Treasurerer:
>
>        http://wiki.aardrock.com/Wizard_Rabbit_Treasurer
>
> What I'd like to see is some funding and a thriving open source
> project implementing this SOS (Social Operating System - Save Our
> Souls).
>
> Succes en plezier,
>
>        Martien.

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm