[p2p-research] disagreement by deletion/addition BOOSTING MORAL

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:12:14 CET 2007

My question: is it still really productive to think in terms of reform vs.
revolution. I would tend to say: there is only one world, in which we have
the opportunity to create new life practices using different counter-logics,
which to various degrees will be adopted, transformed by the dominating
logic.However, if we interconnect/internetwork the life practices strongly
enough, at one point, they are no longer absorbable, and a phase shift
occurs to the new counterlogic as new meta-system. That's how it happened in
the past meta-transitions, and I think it is likely to happen again in the
future.

Both the notions that all are efforts are doomed to be absorbed, and that we
need a radical revolution first, are equally de-motivating and
self-defeating notions, in my opinion,
\
Michel

On Dec 7, 2007 1:40 AM, Athina Karatzogianni <athina.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi MIchel
>
> This has been also my question and my motivation for writing on
> cryptohierarchies.....
>
> on your question 'Will new open spaces that emerge,
> ALWAYS become co-opted by the old rules systems?  Will they
> ALWAYS be forced (as they scale?) to adopt the old rules?'
>
> I would go argue that to be co-opted means to be forced to take a 'reform'
> attitutude to social change (see for example the reform wings in the global
> social movements to reform global neoliberal institutions etc), a more
> 'gradual' change, like running two parallel systems, so  people would have
> time to adjust,  often means that change is  more like 'improvement' or
> 'inclusion' on social conditions, not radical change, which truly upsets the
> status quo in any way
>
> i d say that is the politically correct style revolution!
>
> the other option 'the truly radical revolutionary' change from one day to
> the next is always crashing against the unwillingness of human nature, of
> domestic governments and the hierarchical world system to adapt and to lose
> and gain in the process, often met with violence or blockage, repression in
> all social settings, internet non excluded as you know.
>
> In other words, closure and fixity is always there to piss everyone off
> and to enclose the open spaces we create. However the filights away from the
> system smoothed and morphed as a result of these spaces are somehow i think
> registered and provide the 'bad' examples for the new generation to follow
> (if they get off their consumerist arses and do something eventually!)
>
> its not my fault you asked..........
>
> hope all is well!
> athina
>

> On Dec 6, 2007 5:31 PM, Paul B. Hartzog <paulbhartzog at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > conversation starter:
> >
> > Deletionism, or Disagreement by Deletion
> >
> > long time ago in my naive days
> > Sunir Shah and I got talking about what was good about wikis.
> >
> > one of the key things was:
> > 1) disagreement by deletion
> > vs.
> > 2) disagreement by addition
> >
> > DbD was the old-school political philosophy of exclusive practice,
> > i.e. deciding who is "in" and who is "out"
> >
> > DbA was the new-school of pluralization, pluralism, and conversation,
> > i.e. including perspectival acknowledgement as part of the process
> >
> > I actually used to lecture that this was a KEY reason why wikis are
> > politically revolutionary, which is that by using DbA they
> > 1) mesh with a multivocal world
> > 2) function on inclusion instead of fragmentation (echo chamber)
> >
> > Now we see the "new" spaces, turning into "old" spaces
> > by adopting the same rules as the old.
> >
> > Question:
> > Is this a historical inevitability.  Will new open spaces that emerge,
> > ALWAYS become co-opted by the old rules systems?  Will they
> > ALWAYS be forced (as they scale?) to adopt the old rules?
> >
> > thoughts?

> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm