Re: PROGRAMMING: Free Tools Finally Available

Ross A. Finlayson (raf@tiki-lounge.com)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:45:09 -0400

Well, DirectX is pretty good, version 7 has the benefit of having 6 prior releases to help iron out bugs.

I have one issue with this thread subject, it's about programming tools. It's all well and good that one can get free SDK's from Microsoft, but there is no free compiler from Microsoft. There should be.

For C, one can use LCC, for DOS DJGPP which is the GNU C/C++ compiler, DJGPP can utilize RSXNTDJ to program for Windows on Win32. Also, there is mingw32.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Station/1177/index.html
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/~rainer/
http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

My point here is that there is probably no free compiler that can build DirectX 7. There are examples seen of using DirectX from, for example, LCC or RSXNTDJ, but this is close to a Herculean effort in itself.

So, Microsoft should release the compiler tools of Windows, cl.exe and link.exe, as well as midl.exe and mktybelib.exe, and their linked libraries, for free. Why? Purely altruistically. I am not advocating releasing free Visual C++, although that would be a wonderful thing, yet the two most basic tools, cl.exe and link.exe, are not available for free, thus everything else that depends on these two programs can not be considered free.

Industrial Java compilers are free.

Ross Finlayson