steganography

From: Smigrodzki, Rafal (SmigrodzkiR@MSX.UPMC.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 16:38:01 MDT

Robert Coyote wrote:

Its called stenography
they can tell if it does with some kind of FFT analizer

### But is it still possible to detect steganographic messages if the amount
of information encoded is very small, compared to the amount of background?
If there are only 100 bytes encoded in a 2 MB photo, I would imagine it
might be actually impossible to detect the message, without having the code
telling you at which particular bits to look.

And we have to remember that terrorist organizations need a very low
encrypted bandwidth to operate - all they need to say is "John will blow up
building X while Alice will kill Mr. Z". This very low amount of info can be
smuggled even without computers, by using handwritten letters from the
seaside, with coded information in the text.

Rafal Smigrodzki