Re: Singularity: can't happen here

From: Charlie Stross (charlie@antipope.org)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 15:52:21 MDT

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 02:36:46PM -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> > Feh. Take one of the good examples from Microsoft: move faster than
> > the law. (And that's ignoring the point these are only US laws, not
> > Earth-wide law - no matter how wide the US tries to enforce its
> > jurisdication.)
>
> As you are certainly aware the globalization work is largely
> involved in extending laws of any signatory country over all.
> This is certainly not a US only problem. And, if this goes
> through, there will be no "faster than the law" as all means to
> do so will be locked up tight with 1-2 years of serious
> enforcement attempts. It must be defeated now.

Or, to paraphrase: "Globalization" is not about free trade, it's about
creating a safe environment for a planetary oligarchy. Global free
trade might be a good thing, but not in the absence of unlimited free
movement of labour -- and I mean movement _by_ the labour, not movement
of factories to wherever the [trapped] local labour is cheapest.

This is giving me the cold shudders. Normally I can shrug off political
nonsense, even oppressive political nonsense -- but even though this
law is being proposed in another country, it's hit me a hell of a lot
harder than the handgun ban in my own country.

-- Charlie