Re: : Re: Why would AI want / Survival no longer an issue

From: ankara (ankara@norlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 14:52:14 MDT

Zero,

Sorry I have no mastery over technology, esp. that of 'programing' to
enable posing these questions elegantly.

How will AI machines differ from humans? How will the 'wants' and goals differ?

The autonomic nervous system (ANS) is the human 'hardwired' survival
function. Humans do not need to want to survive. Intelligence is different
ingredient. The human mind has intelligence, that is, the abiltity to
'program and reprogram' itself via learning and learning is also what will
make AI software intelligent (I). Ability may manifest without the desire
to use it.

Primary human 'Wants' or desires involve:
1. - the avoidance of suffering (physical & mental pain) by increasing
awareness and ability to predict harm's immediacy and eventuality by
assessing short and long-term consequences.
2. - seeking pleasure.

The first set of 'wants' hone thinking and intelligence - which in
themselves may be sources of great pleasure while the second set of 'wants'
can easily corrupt the ability to 'reprogram' oneself.

Once the survival function is removed, What motivation remains? What
exactly is it that all of you will be doing in those endless post-human
days? Will you need to invent something to want? Are you now a pleasure
seeker or a pain avoider? Please do not assume these issues are
self-evident.