Re: Justice and Punishment

Warrl kyree Tale'sedrin (warrl@mail.blarg.net)
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:11:43 +0000

> From: "Lee Daniel Crocker" <lcrocker@mercury.colossus.net (none)>

> > I'd like to state that I don't _oppose_ anarcho-capitalism in
> > itself. It's a great idea, but I just don't think it will ever
> > work properly in this world with these people.
>
> This is a very common speculation, but it clearly flies in the
> face of the abundant evidence of human history that free
> societies--in this world, with these people--are now and have
> always been the most peaceful societies, while centrally
> controlled societies have always been the most brutal. It is
> indeed an extrapolation on the part of anarcho-capitalists to
> thereby assume that even more freedom will result in even more
> peace, but at least we're speculating in the same direction as
> the data, not directly opposite from it.

But it's a speculation on a boundary condition, which is
precisely the sort of condition where simple extrapolation is
prone to error.

And it's a speculation premised on the observation that groups of
people do not long remain leader-less, and about half an hour after
they acquire a leader they have dissent against the leader.

US$500 fee for receipt of unsolicited commercial email. USC 47.5.II.227