Re: Mercury Risk?

From: Spike Jones (spike66@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 08:56:30 MST

> >First, 300 mcg Hg/m3 is not equal to 0.3 mg/m3, but let
> >us ignore that, since I didn't use it in my calcs.
>
> IAN: 300 mcg = 0.3 mg, or not? Or is that your point?

Ian I was hoping you would let me slide on that one since
Im not accustomed to the unit mcg. {8^D But if I had to
guess and my lazy ass failed to look it up on the web, I
would think it is a milli-centigram. 300 of these would be
3 mg. Had they meant 0.3 mg, would they not have said
300 microgram? {8-]

Since I wasnt sure, I used your figure for the OSHA
safe limit of 0.1 mg/m^3.

I would not be surprised to find people with high
readings of HgO in the mouth, but I dont think dental
fillings are the source, otherwise they would be gone
by now. There is said to be mercury concentrations
in some fish, which causes me much more consternation,
as I am one to devour these at every opportunity. {As
a side issue, I am quite morally conflicted about this,
for when I eat fish, I am not eating beef, poultry or
swine. We do farm animals a favor by devouring their
flesh, for if humans did not do so, these beasts would
not live at all. By creating a market for them, we give
them *some* life, which is presumably better than no
life at all, eh? But fish *would* live otherwise, being
wild animals. So do your good deed today and eat
a steak.}

In conclusion, if high HgO readings are being found,
we should find and eliminate these.

> If I was in a room where air Hg0 was 0.3 mg/m3 and
> an Hg0 meter was placed in my mouth, measuring the
> Hg0 content of in-drawn air (assuming that I have
> no amalgam fillings), what would the measure read?

Depends on how much Hg is already in your system,
presumably from other sources, such as your food.
The mouth is highly vascular, which is why one's BAC
can be estimated from breath alone. I could see how
HgO could be found in the mouth of a fillingless person
in a room which contained no mercury.

Also consider this: Fischer was right about all the
other wacky things he did and said. {8^D spike