Re: Major Technologies

Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:31:14 +0100

I would think there are lots of micron-sized particles leaving our solar system now. A gray goo capable of passive or even active solar sailing or of other, active means of panspermia would obviously seem to have lots of evolutionary advantages. Due to co-evolutionary pressure you can obviously get arbitrarily complex autoreplicators, up to the level of sentience. (As autoreplicators can't emerge spontaneously, they will obviously have potential for advanced infoprocessing capabilities right from the start. Since brittle autoreplicators are containable, the emerged autoreplicators will be nonbrittle in respects to evolutionary optimization).

'gene

P.S.	You non-believers in the gray goo being dangerous are really
	scary. Arriving at rash conclusions, often riddled with
	obvious logical flaws and basing further course of action upon
	these is imo dangerously unresponsible behaviour. We need
	nano-CERT, and quick.