Re: 48 hours, on the brink

From: Brian D Williams (talon57@well.com)
Date: Fri Dec 31 1999 - 07:48:13 MST

From: Kathryn Aegis <k_aegis@mindspring.com>

>One disappointment: During a discussion of the possibility
>of downloading new skills into one's brain, 48 Hours showed
>video clips of dancers, violinists, and other persons using
>fine motor skills. Given that the spinal cord contains its
>own secondary learning system, and that dancers and musicians
>train that secondary system over years of practice, it isn't
>that reasonable to think that one could suddenly download
>and become the next Yo Yo Ma. A small quibble, tho.

This would seem to be an argument in favor of whole body v.s.
neurosuspension, but I would assume that when revival becomes
possible it will be relatively easy to upload an advanced spinal
neuro-system at the same time.

So far the only argument I see favoring whole body over neuro is
the idea that whole bodies will probably be revived first.

Brian

Member, Extropy Institute, www.extropy.org
Adler Planetarium
Life Extension Foundation, www.lef.org
National Rifle Association, www.nra.org, 1.800.672.3888
Mars Society, www.marssociety.org
Ameritech Data Center Chicago, IL, Local 134 I.B.E.W