Re: Apples ==> Styles, Oranges ==> HT (was Re: I come not to praise HTML, blah blah....Bubblenomics)

From: Lee Daniel Crocker (lcrocker@mercury.colossus.net)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 12:53:26 MST

> IMHO links are part of the content of the text and
> as such belong in the text, which is where they are
> now.

/Some/ links are part of the text, such as when the
text explicity refers to something: "See K&R First Edition...".
Generally, though, a link is an independent thing: it is
an expression of a relationship between two or more pieces
of text. HTML accomplishes this by simply embedding the link
inside one of those pieces of text, and having it refer to
the other (only 2-part one-directional untyped links). A
more general information system would allow you to specify
arbitrary predicates taking any number of arguments, each of
which is either a piece of text or another predicate (so you
can comment on text, metadata, groups of any of the above,
etc.) The only markup that should be embedded in the text
itself is that which serves to identify its parts so that
they can be referred to by links, style sheets, etc.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,