HT: history (was Re: Style-sheets (was: I come not to praise HTML...))

From: Michael M. Butler (butler@comp-lib.org)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 10:32:29 MST

Thanks for the historical notes. I have a few comments:

1) You left out most of the attendees of the first and second HyperTEXT
conferences. Possibly this is due to many of them working at universities
(e.g., Brown), and not shipping commercial product.
2) You left out Engelbart's NLS/Augment, which ran on big iron and thus may
be beneath notice. :)
3) I don't think Intermedia was created by Apple. It may have been promoted
by them. It might have been licensed by/bought by them. Or I could be wrong.
4) Machine-aided hypertext didn't spring from the forehead of Xerox.
Engelbart shipped product and had paying customers long before that.