Re: Patents

From: Robin Hanson (rhanson@gmu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 09:32:41 MST

[Behold, the great cycle of email, where the only way to kill one
  flamefest favorite (qualia), is to introduce another (e.g., patents).]

Max More wrote:
>I'm not sure that patents could not be replaced by something better.
>... the fixed patent period as ridiculous. Patent length should
>vary depending on industry and market conditions.

I think patents just don't make as big a difference as either proponents
or opponents think. Proponents are just wrong to think that innovation
would drastically decline without patents; areas without patents have
plenty of innovation. But opponents are also wrong to deny that there
are times and places where limited patents promote innovation.

The key problem is: who if anyone can be trusted to make the needed
judgement calls about what sorts of patents to allow where and when?
Those with sufficient faith in the ability of governments (and courts)
to make such calls well should support patents, and give governments
a lot of discretion about what patents to allow. Those with greater
skepticism about such government ability should ask which is worse:
no patents at all, some very simple rule about which patents to allow,
or a very error-prone government using a lot of discretion.

Since I know of no simple enforceable rule that correlates well with
when patents help, and since I see large errors now and fear larger
errors with new technologies, I guess I favor eliminating patents.
But I'm far from sure of that position.

Robin Hanson rhanson@gmu.edu http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030
703-993-2326 FAX: 703-993-2323